Monday, November 7, 2011

Happy Monday!

Today was such a wonderful day. I met with my academic advisor who helped me select classes for the spring semester and I hope to take an intense study class in pastoral care during January. The class is 5 days from 9—5 each day. I also met with a faculty member who is in the pastoral care department and gave her my application for a Pastoral Care Concentration. She was a wonderful help and was glad to have the application. I was asked today where I was in my studies in seminary and I said, “somewhere in the middle.” It is hard to believe.

Geni is better, but now Bruce has a sore throat. Thank you for your prayers and please pray for Bruce. I also met a gentleman this evening who is most likely in his 80’s and a survivor of esophageal cancer. He has now been diagnosed with kidney cancer and will be receiving treatment soon. Please pray for healing for Bob.

Prayer: “Father, thank You for coming into my world as a person so that I can experience Your love. Thank you for loving me the way I am. Your love is my security and confidence. Thank You for your kindness to me. Thank You for allowing me to be a part of your perfect plan for this world. I know that because of You, love is the music of the universe. My prayer is that love will be the song that I am singing today. Amen.”

1 Corinthians 13: 4-5 “Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil.”

How many times have we heard or read this passage of scripture? Most of the time we hear it at weddings. Have you ever really listened to the powerful statements this passage makes. This passage speaks in very clear specific declarative sentences. It tells us what love is supposed to look like, sound like and most importantly how love is supposed to act.

Let’s apply this passage to our own lives and change the words.
Jesus suffers long and is kind. ______(insert your name) suffers long and is kind.
Jesus does not envy. ______does not envy.
Jesus does not parade Himself. ______does not parade him/her self.
Jesus is not puffed up. ______is not puffed up.
Jesus does not behave rudely. _____does not behave rudely.

You get the idea. If I place my name in those blanks it is a powerful reminder of the responsibility I have in being Christ’s representative. These are not just nice words to be spoken during a wedding, but these are words of instruction which change us. The instruction is to cure our self-centeredness by centering ourselves on Christ and the well-being of others.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and with great gladness carry an umbrella! Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all mighty and faithful prayer warriors, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: