Saturday, November 5, 2011

Happy Friday!

What a wonderful day! Bruce and I left this morning and surprised Mom and Daddy with a visit. We went to their annual church bazaar and then treated them to lunch. It was such a wonderful day. The sky was so blue and the air was crisp and I was with people I love so much.

About this bazaar…there were lots of craft items, jams, jellies and so many special items, but the most amazing thing was when we walked in the door we were greeted with the most intoxicating aroma of fresh baked bread. The kitchen was filled with ladies rising, punching down and shaping loaves of beautiful loaves of homemade wheat bread. The loaves came in clear plastic bags still warm from the oven. Daddy bought us two loaves to bring home and took some home for Mom along with jars of delicious jams made by their pastor. How cool is that! Now here is something amazing…Mom was unable to assist with the bazaar activities this year so Daddy went in her place. She made one request. It was for a jar of apricot preserves. By the time Daddy got there…there were no more. Somehow, the pastor (who had made the preserves) found out Daddy had wanted some for Mom and the pastor promised that by tomorrow morning there would be some for her. Ah…it is great to be beloved!

Prayer: “Thank You, Lord, for saving me and setting me apart to live for You. Should You allow some trial or difficulty to come my way, please help me not to complain or become bitter; rather, please enable me to praise You through the storm. Use me to praise You in the hard times so others see You in my life. Amen.”

1 Timothy 4: 4,5 “For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.”

Each time I write a paper for school I pray over it. The general prayer is usually that God would bless my writing with understanding of the topic on which I am to write so that the professor will know that I understand what I am being taught and not only would the writing I do be academically acceptable, but would show these educators something about my faith and service to God. I am not a very good academic writer yet, but I am trying to improve. I really hope that these educators in faith formation are able to detect through the knowledge I display how much I want to serve God as one who is set apart for a professional career in pastoral care.

I have never read this verse before, but I think I will commit this passage to memory and give thanks even when I don’t do as well as I had hoped. I pray that I will not be upset if that happens, but look at it as an opportunity for correction and improvement.

Not everything works out as we would like and we do not always understand what God is doing. But this God who loves us so much claims His presence in our lives and promises that if we will just walk as obediently as we know how in trust, He will guide our steps and our stops. God will guide us into holier and higher ways known only to Him.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

Prayer requests: Travis, for the healing of his back. He had a really rough workout last night and deadlifted 730 pounds, leaving him with a sore back. Prayers for Geni and her friend Erin for a safe return from their girls’ weekend and me for writing a rather involved history paper that is due on Friday. Peace, gc.

No comments: