Sunday, October 30, 2011

Blessed Sunday to you all!

The 35th Anniversary at Advent was positively splendid today. There were two worship services and a wonderful pot-luck lunch after the later service. There were charter members, former Advent pastors and a full house of current members as well as some who have moved away, but made special effort to be present today. It was a wonderful homecoming reunion. I have spent the remainder of the day in Old Testament studies of the prophets Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel and Hosea. I took my test over the prophets and am reading about something I don’t quite understand. So I read half of it tonight, will rise early in the morning to complete the reading and write a reflection paper. It does not seem to stop, but believe it or not, it is time to be advised for next semester. WOW!

Prayer: “Thank You , Lord, for Your Word. You have promised to teach me in the way I should live and guide me in the paths of righteousness. I ask You to keep my eyes focused on You and open to Your truths. Give me eyes to see, ears to hear, and a heart to receive what You will have for me today. I commit myself to follow You as you lead me by Your Word.”

Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

This passage of scripture is one that has a visual image that I have never readily understood. The image of a two-edged sword is a really powerful and somewhat frightening image. The Bible, God’s inspired Word, is the Truth that has the power to show us who we are whether the Word is preached, read or shared in conversation. Scripture is alive within us breathing the knowledge and the presence of the Holy Spirit in all we do and say. God knows us better than we know ourselves. When we experience His truth in assurance, comfort or knowledge, or when God accurately tells us of His opinion of our hidden selves we have the opportunity to walk toward God in repentance and thankfulness. Remember that two-edged sword…God’s Word never pierces us to wound us, but uses His Word like a surgeon and touches the places of disease and infection (sin and disobedience) so we can be healed.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and a jacket. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Continue to keep Nichol Burkholder in your prayers as she and her family continue to mourn the loss of her father. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: