Saturday, October 22, 2011

Happy Saturday!

Tonight was a lovely setting at a bed and breakfast in McKinney, Texas, where my beautiful niece, Stephanie Helvey, married Stephen Richards. The ceremony was held outside under perfect weather conditions with all of the colors of fall surrounding us. Tonight, the pastor who performed the ceremony did something that Bruce nor I had ever heard before. He generally performed a traditional service with one wonderful addition. The pastor charged all of us in the assembly to remember our marriage vows and honor them. Then he charged each of us to support Stephanie and Stephen throughout their lives together. I thought of my parents with their near 60 years together, Bruce and I with almost 31, Stephanie’s other grandparents with their 60 plus years and I am sure many other couples who have stood the test of time. Each of these couples have remained faithful to the one they married and faithful to the vows they took before God in years long past.

I was reminded of the vows we take at baptism. Baptism is the sacrament that grants us membership into a community of believers. Baptism sets us apart for the service of God and gives us identity within the family of God. When a child is baptized the parents promise to bring them to church, teach them the scriptures and proclaim Jesus as Lord in their homes, thus providing and modeling a household of faith. Then the congregation is charged with the responsibility of helping the parents of the child or in the case of adult baptism to help and support them in their life as Christians.

Marriage identifies us as set apart from this day forward to love and to cherish one other as we love no other through good times and tough times. In these days of disposable everything many marriages are disposable. Any institution on which God places such high value cannot be taken lightly or thought of in any terms less than “til death do us part.” I think more weddings should include this piece within the ceremony. With all of the longevity of successful, loving, supportive marriages in their histories I think Stephanie and Stephen have a great chance of a long and happy marriage.

If you are so fortunate to have a long and happy marriage, give thanks for your spouse, for God’s presence in your marriage and the blessings you have received in your years together. Be a model for those who are young in their marriage and encourage them to pray, to keep God in the center of their lives, to praise their spouse, to practice forgiveness and to keep trying through good times and times of adversity. Please keep Stephanie and Stephen in your prayers.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers (Maybe an extra prayer for the Rangers before they play again tomorrow.) Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

PS I am preaching in Rocket and Palmer tomorrow. I ask your prayers as I deliver the Word to these two congregations that God would bless the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart and that they would be found acceptable in His sight. Thanks, gc

No comments: