Sunday, September 4, 2011

Blessed Sunday to you all!

Today we spent in celebration of many family celebrations during the month of August. Bruce, Geni and my Mom all celebrated birthdays. Mom and Dad celebrated their 59th wedding anniversary and Daddy retired from work at the age of 78. It was a wonderful day full of eating, fellowship, remembering, swimming, eating (I know I said that before, but we are really good at eating!) and lots of laughter. Sheena and I decided that this time she and I would prepare the lunch for our family. Our aunts and my mom have cooked and prepared for us our whole lives and we decided that this time we would treat them. It felt really great to share and honor them in this way. Families are forever and our family is so very precious.

Mark 6: 41-44 “When He had taken the five loaves and the two fishes, He…blessed, and broke the loaves…and they that did eat of the loaves were about five thousand men.”

Have you ever prepared a meal and had more come to the table than you had planned and were concerned there would not be enough food? I think all of us have had that happen at some time. When I read this passage I think about how Jesus not only made sure there was enough food for all to be satisfied, but to remind the disciples to rely on Him to supply their needs.

I envision this story unfolding near mealtime and the disciples began to be concerned that there would not be enough food to feed the five thousand men, but also their families who came to hear the young rabbi teach. So Jesus looks over at a young boy who had brought a lunch of fish and bread for himself and asked the boy to give what he had. As the boy handed his lunch to Jesus, I think that this young boy was not the only one who brought a lunch with him that day. Do you suppose the unselfish gift by the boy and the prayer of blessing, given by Jesus, over this lunch of fish and bread sparked an idea of sharing in the ears of those listeners? After the prayer, do you suppose there were others who opened their baskets or bags and shared their lunches with those around them? I think this is a distinct possibility. Jesus taught the Disciples the practice of radical hospitality. But Jesus also taught the Disciples to offer thanks for what they had and trust that there would always be enough.

Today at our table there was more than enough and we divided up the leftovers among ourselves and the meal continued past today. Jesus’ love is expressed at the table of grace when we partake of the Eucharist. But when we leave the table, the meal is continued when we remember how much God has loved us through the death and resurrection of Jesus. And even though we do not take bread and wine away from the communion table, we take the crucified Christ with us wherever we go and are commanded to share that same love with all those we meet. God tells us we are to look to Him to meet all of our needs…to rely on Him and drop our burdens at His feet and rejoice that are burdens have not only been lifted, but taken into the arms of the Father. When we believe in God with trust and assurance that He will meet our needs - not just with enough, but with abundance out of His love - we can rejoice even before those needs are met.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all and have a wonderful Labor Day holiday, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: