Thursday, July 28, 2011

Happy Thursday!

Today we took a batch of cookies to the staff on the 5th floor and then walked three laps around the floor. The heat is so oppressive that we have to become creative about places and times. Bruce has begun to walk around the inside of the house each hour. Where there is a will there is a way. Anyway the staff on the floor did a double take when we arrived because he looked so good. His color is excellent and his strength is returning. It is hard to believe that he just came home from the hospital this past Monday. The greatest difficulty he has had is getting comfortable to get to sleep. But perhaps increased activity and a returning appetite will help. But overall he is doing amazingly well!

Prayer: Dear God, keep me alert in my time with You today. Sometimes I lose my focus when I am talking to you and am in need of Your forgiveness. Keep me focused when I come to You in prayer because I need You—I even need You to help me pray. Teach me to pray, Lord. I give you my all today. Speak to me now, Amen.

Mark 14: 37, 38 “He came and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, “Simon, are you sleeping? Could you not watch one hour? Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Imagine the Garden of Gethsemane. Jesus has asked the disciples to come with Him to the garden to pray. Jesus is about to walk the final road to the cross. He wants His closest friends to pray for Him. He goes off to pray to His Father to ask for this cup to pass from Him. When Jesus finishes His prayer time he goes back to find the disciples asleep. Now the only one He calls out for falling asleep is Peter. He scolds Peter for sleeping and then tells Peter to “watch and pray lest you fall into temptation.” Just a short time later Peter denies Christ three times.

After thinking about this passage I asked myself, why did Jesus only call out Peter? The other disciples were asleep too. But why just Peter? I think Jesus called out Peter because Jesus had such mighty plans for Peter. Peter was to begin the church.
Jesus needed Peter to understand that his prayer life was his lifeline to God.

God’s availability is limitless and timeless. We can call on His at any moment of any hour. I think God was trying to get Peter to understand that He needed to be able to be in contact with him at all times and the only way was to have a continuous prayer life. “Praying without ceasing” takes on a whole new meaning.

So what does this mean for us? God wants the same connection with us. God wants to lead us, teach us, work through us, soothe us, affirm and encourage us. He wants the church to be continued through us, but most of all He wants to love us and have a relationship with us. When we commit ourselves to prayer then we can overcome all temptation and God’s perfect plan for each of us can be fulfilled.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Praying without ceasing is not always spoken, sometimes it is being quiet and listening for God to speak to us. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: