Monday, July 25, 2011

Greetings from Austin St.

Blessed Sunday to you all! I began my day serving Eucharist to Bruce and Dave. That was a great way to start the day. Now for the funny of the day. I prepared the Communion elements using a cracker and some grape juice. I could not locate a plate so I used the lid to a Starbucks cup on which to lay the cracker host. We proceeded through the service and concluded with “Go in peace and serve the Lord.” Responded with, “Thanks be to God.” As I was cleaning up the hospital table Dave noticed that I used the Starbucks lid as the bread plate and made the comment that the bread plate became “sacred grounds.” Too funny! Given that in the Lutheran community coffee is often referred to as the “third sacrament.” It was extra funny!

As for Bruce, he is doing so well. He still tires very easily especiall after aerobic laughter! He will keep his best friend the heart pillow very close. If you come to visit, you will be asked to sign the pillow. Everything came out today except the central line and that will not be removed until just as we are walking out the door tomorrow, Monday. He is off all monitors. He has begun the 5K three times a day. We took the long walk around the floor three times today between visitors and once with Ken and Sheena. According to the charge nurse walking is the quickest and best path to healing. So, we will be at the mall three times a day until the weather cools down and we can walk around the neighborhood.

Prayer: “God, You are my comforter, my rock, my strength and my shield. When I am lonely, remind me of Your presence. When I am desperate, remind me of Your provision. When I am anxious, remind me of Your peace. Allow me to walk in the certainty of that truth in uncertain times. Amen.”

Psalm 102: 1,2 “Hear my prayers, O Lord, and let my cry come unto You. Do not hide Your face from me in the day of my trouble; incline Your ear to me; in the day that I call, answer me speedily.”

Things in our life are about to change. All of the changes we will make will be for the greater quality and extension of Bruce’s life. We will make exercise changes, diet changes and other lifestyle changes. This week I was witness to this amazing miracle. Bruce, on Tuesday was entubated and in Intensive Care with more tubes coming out of him than a science lab. Today he wore his own clothes, walked the floor unassisted and unencumbered with poles, tubes and monitors. And all of this happened in just 6 short days. The healing has just begun, but still has a long way to go. The nurse told us today that all of the soreness will not go away for about a year.

So tonight as I was reading my nightly devotion and God has met a need that I really had and reminded me of things I already knew, but need to be reminded. “First, I must believe that God will see us through. Our God is able! Second, God is sovereign. There is only one God and I am not Him. I must trust that He knows what is best. Third, remember that God loves us enough to send His only Son to calm the storms of our life. Cry out to Him and as for the peace that only He can bring.!”
I am asking all of your prayer warriors to be in prayer claiming these wonderful promises of God for Bruce, our family and for you. Thank you again, mighty, faithful and loving prayer warriors.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Claim the promises of God and God will give each of us peace. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis

No comments: