Friday, July 29, 2011

Happy Friday!

Today we went to the hospital to walk. We went 7 laps around the 5th floor. It is close with minimal distractions and the temperature is right! Later we went to the mall. While I got my nails done, Bruce purchased a pedometer and went around the top floor of the mall. It is just short of a mile. Bruce discovered that the mall had distractions. Distractions meaning obstructions, smells and different temperatures throughout the space. I thought those were interesting observations. We may go to the hospital most of the time. But still he is such a champion. It is hard to imagine that he had this huge surgery just 10 days ago and now he is out doing the mile or more. Also, he had a bit of a snafu with his Coumadin. He accidently took too much. He called Doc Norcross’s nurse who knew how to counteract it and so wanted a new set of labs today. We had brussel sprouts for dinner last night and that seemed to fix the problem because today his blood was just where they want it. I told you he was a champion!!! Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

Prayer: Lord, thank You for the past week. I am thankful for both the good and tough moments. I am thankful for what You have taught me about the power of prayer. As I enter this weekend, continue to teach me. While I am going about doing everyday things, speak to my heart. Remind me of Your ever continuing presence as I continue to listen with an open heart. In Jesus name, Amen.

3 John 2:3 “Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers. For I rejoiced greatly when brethren came and testified of the truth that is in you, just as you walk in the truth.”

The word “testify” sometimes scares believers. When we think of testifying we think of some evangelist standing before a congregation shouting God’s Word, or someone on a street corner screaming the Word at passersby. For me testifying does not always have to have words.

Sometimes a Ministry of Presence is all that is needed. When we lost Casey there were no words of consolation that would even come close to soothing the grief we felt. We knew that Casey did not just leave our lives, but the lives of many others. Words of consolation are spoken so kindly, but it is not the words that are remembered. It was the presence of God in His people that provides the much needed healing. No or very few words really need to be spoken.

Today as I finished up thank you notes to those who visited in the hospital or were there with us during the surgery I was awed once again by the power of the Ministry of Presence. While Bruce was in surgery for those 6 hours there was quite a crowd of family and friends gathered in the waiting room. He was completely unaware of the size of this group, but I believe that their presence was felt because each of the people in that group contained within them the Presence of God. They could not speak words to Bruce, but they could pray and make the space where we waited “Holy Ground” because God was present in His people.

So my friends never underestimate the power of a visit to someone in the hospital or ill at home. You do not need to have any great words of wisdom or platitudes to speak. Just go in Jesus’ name and His presence will be enough to be a blessing not only to the one who is ill or troubled, but you too will receive a blessing.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Be a blessing to someone by being God’s presence to someone who needs to feel loved and cared for as only God can. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: