Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Happy Wednesday!

Prayer: “Lord, Thank you for this new day with great opportunities to serve You. I pray for wisdom and discernment to make good decisions today. I don’t want to allow the pressures of life to take priority over staying in fellowship with You throughout the day. Help me keep my heart and mind focused on You in every circumstance. Amen.”

Philippians 2: 13-14 “It is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. Do all things without complaining and disputing.”

It has been my joy and pleasure to be a public school educator for the last 30 years. I remember, as a 6 year old, coming home from the first day of first grade and knowing that someday I would become a school teacher. When grown-ups would ask what I wanted to be when I grew up, my answer was always a teacher. When I graduated UNT with a degree in music education and began looking for employment I was always asked the question, “What do you want to be?” My stock answer was a retired teacher. And here I am.

In those 30 years I tried to leave my personal life daily at the front door of my school and focus on the education of the children in my charge. It was my job to effect change in the lives of those in my classroom and focus all of my attention and abilities on that task. I have been privileged over the years to watch little ones who could barely hold a pencil on the first day of school become able readers, writers, critical thinkers and good citizens by the last day of the school year. It is and has been amazing work and it has been my joy to do this for thirty years.

As I read this passage tonight I began to think about how God works in us. God is going to accomplish His will no matter what my attitude is. I can choose to stay in fellowship with Him and rejoice in being a part of what He is doing or I can allow the stuff going on in my life that really has no eternal meaning to take away the joy God is so graciously placing in my view and in my path.

The longer I walk with the Father the more I see that we all experience distractions in our lives that could take our eyes off of what Jesus has in store for us, but all of those distractions pale in comparison to the indescribable joy we experience when God’s will for our lives is His good pleasure as He works His will in our lives.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. When you pray give thanks and glorify God for His will in your life. Bruce is going to the cardiologist for a follow-up to his heart cath tomorrow. And I think little Cambri’s surgery is tomorrow. Please pray for them. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: