Friday, June 17, 2011

Happy Friday!

Today I got my nails done…at 11:00 AM. Now there’s a first for a Friday. All of a sudden I realized I did not have to wait until after school or Saturday. I will get the hang of this retirement thing. You know something else…I have discovered that I have time to mail things. It has become a rather enjoyable task. I, however, am still tying up the loose ends I had forgotten about and so am getting them taken care of. I am in the initial stages of applying for ordination through the Christian Church, Disciples of Christ. Please continue your prayers as I travel this journey.

I am grateful each day for your prayers of support. Thank you all so very much.

Prayer: “Father I thank you for this new day and for all the opportunities it will bring. Lord, I pray that You would guide me by Your Spirit and give me wisdom and understanding for every decisions I will have to make today. I love You, and I ask these things in Jesus’ name. Amen.”

Proverbs 14: 33 “Wisdom rests in the heart of him who has understanding, but what is in the heart of fools is made known.”

What comes out of our mouths is what is in our hearts. Solomon restates this simple phrase in this passage of scripture. If we are walking in God’s will then wisdom will be in our hearts and minds and will come out of our mouth and will show up in our actions. But when there are those who are not walking in God’s will, they will show or expose what is in their hearts by what they say and do.

Jesus tells the disciples how to identify “false prophets” by their fruits (Matthew 7:16). When we have God’s wisdom in our hearts then we are able to make right choices. Those right choices are the fruit of our hearts that have wisdom and understanding.

Paul’s teaching in Romans 12:2 tells us “Be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”

As I have been going to seminary and received God’s call into the ministry there have been several really tough decisions I had to make. The more I study, the more passages about wisdom I seem to study. I used to equate wisdom with intelligence. But now I think that wisdom is the willingness to be obedient to God’s call and having enough faith to trust in God not only with the really tough decisions, but with decisions that we make daily. It is trusting God with those decisions that might even break our hearts. If we but trust God when we have choices to make then we will make the right choice because we were wise enough to ask God in prayer to help us make the right choice by His will. I think that is what Paul was talking about when he spoke of “renewing of your (my) mind.”

Okay here is the challenge for the summer…Let us ask God to work in our hearts and minds and we will become more like Him. Let us pray like Paul asking God to, ‘give us the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened.” (Ephesians 1: 17, 18)

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes and check in every once in a while to let me know how the challenge is going. If you do not want to respond on the blog then you can email me at Gcapplenotes@aol.com

Count your blessings and say your prayers.

Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: