Monday, June 6, 2011

Blessed Sunday to you all!

What a day! I preached at two churches this morning and spent the remainder of the day grading my last papers and pushing my grades (posting the grades) in the program. There are many things I will miss about teaching, but grading papers is not one of them.

I preached today on the passage from John 17:1-14. It is a passage I had never read before. It is a prayer that Jesus prays with all of the disciples present. This prayer occurs in the moments between the Lord’s Supper and the time Jesus leads the disciples to the garden for prayer. Jesus knows His hour has come and that He must let the disciples go. For three years He has trained them, walked with them and taught them. He has equipped them for the purpose of fulfilling the Great Commission. He taught and trained them to preach, teach, heal and baptize in His name and to get the message of salvation, love and forgiveness to the entire world.

Jesus’ time on earth was nearing an end and now He must move on to another job. His job on earth was done and it was time for the work of the Holy Spirit to begin. In my sermon I sang the old Don Meredith tune, “Turn out the lights, the party’s over. They say that all good things must end. Turn out the lights the party’s over and tomorrow starts the same old thing again.”

Tomorrow at 3:00 I will officially be a retired teacher. This party may be over, but it will not be the same old thing again. God has another place for me to be and other tasks for me to do. Just as God accomplished all He planned in Jesus and Jesus accomplished all He planned in the disciples; God will accomplish in me all of His plans as I continually surrender my will over to Him.

God works His will in each of us just like He did in Jesus 2000 years ago and just as Jesus worked His will in those disciples. Let us surrender our hearts and wills over to the One who created us and loves us so much that He gave us our salvation. Allow Him to accomplish His will in each of us.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Please continue to pray for our friend C.D. Haun and Bruce and little Cambri. Remember when you pray to give God the glory and praise for all of the blessings you have received. Love you, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: