Tuesday, June 7, 2011




Happy Monday!

I am now a retired teacher. It is a life goal I have had since I guess I was 6 years old and walked into the first grade for the first time. God blessed me by allowing me to live and serve with my heart’s desire.

My class, along with several parents, gave me the sweetest retirement party. In true first grade style, Capri Sun fruit drinks and cookies were served because it was the last day of school it was a bit noisier than usual! It was wonderful and somewhat emotional. I put on a movie today while I wrote each of them a little note and as they left at the end of the day I hugged each of them and told them I loved them.
That is the way I always dismiss my children on the last day of school, but today I think I hugged each of them just a second or two longer. On the way home from school I spent time in prayer thanking God for allowing me to spend the last 30 years in His service teaching children. It has been a great ride. Then,when I got home my dear family took me out to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, Gloria’s.

Tomorrow will be an emotional day as well. Tomorrow I say good- bye to those with whom I have had daily contact for the past 10 years. I am completely at peace about leaving the teaching field, but leaving my friends is a little tougher than I thought it would be. At the end of the day today, my teaching colleague played, “Turn out the lights…the party’s over.” I laughed all the way down the hall!

Prayer: “Father, You know what type of day awaits me. Allow me to face today full of Your Spirit, trusting totally in your grace. In all I do and say, I want to glorify You today. Amen.”

Philippians 3: 13, 14 “Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”

When I read this passage tonight, I promise to you that it was the next page in my devotional book. I asked Bruce, “Do you think God just does this to me? I mean so often God places scripture in front of me at the exact moment I need it.” He said, “That’s because you are paying attention.”

How appropriate is the passage for today. I am closing down one life and beginning another. In my Congregational leadership class the professor spoke of the different kinds of calls that we receive. First is the general call to service that we all receive when we enter into relationship with Christ. Then there is the secret call by God given to those He desires to serve Him as pastors. Finally, there is the ecclesiastical call in which the laying on of hands by pastors, bishops etc…commission us to the work of the cross as an ordained servant.

As I read this tonight it was as if God was saying that I have accomplished in you all I have intended as an educator and now I have other work for you to do. Even though it is hard to leave teaching behind, if I am to be obedient to the Word then I must leave behind apples, crayons, and children’s books. I must learn a new language. I must learn the language of servanthood. I will learn to listen. I will learn to read differently once again and instead of deciphering first grade writing, someone else will read my fledgling academic writing and help me to improve. It is my prayer that my professors will be patient with me and be willing to teach me the craft of servanthood and help move me forward in this ministry. The passage says, “to press forward to the upward calling of God in Christ Jesus.”

Just as in any change there will be struggles and victories. I ask your prayers as I enter this new journey in my life. Please pray for my teachers that they will be patient with me and for me that I will be a good learner.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Remember when you pray that God is always with us in the midst of the struggle and is there to celebrate when we overcome. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: