Saturday, December 11, 2010

Happy Saturday!

Psalm 118: 24 “This is the day which the Lord has made: we will rejoice and be glad in it.”

Lately I have discovered my thoughts going to Casey. I mentioned this to Bruce today and he said it is probably due to the fact that I did the recent research writing about a celebration of life worship service coupled with having to write a personal theology of death. This writing piece of the paper was directly involved with the loss of Casey. It is also the holiday season and I miss him. He loved Christmas and he loved his family. I thought about the Christmas we spent in Houston three years ago (was it really that long ago?). We ate Christmas dinner in shifts as the volunteers prepared dinner for all of the families. Casey was so sick so we took turns going down to Café Anderson having Christmas dinner so Casey would not be alone. It was a bit difficult to rejoice in the day but Christmas still came anyway.

Mary and Joseph had lives that were full of struggle. They were a Jewish couple who were not married and yet expecting a child. The child was not the natural child of the father who would raise Him, but the Father in heaven had given Mary and Joseph the task of raising this most precious child through a tough set of circumstances.

God did not choose a wealthy couple, or a set of experienced parents or a life that would be easy in which this child would be raised. Instead God chose a life of poverty, danger and working within a family in which to grow His only Son. And yet I don’t ever read about Jesus, or Mary or Joseph ever complaining or asking for an easier time. They simply rejoiced with their child each day He was with them.

Today, Geni asked me to bring to her an apple, granola and peanut butter snack with a glass of milk. I went to the kitchen and prepared the snack for her with great joy. Yes, she could have done it herself, but I was glad she was there to make the request and to receive the snack. It was my joy to do this simple task for my daughter.

It is important to take each day as a joyous gift just waiting to be opened like a package from God. Each day holds all of the promise of a package under the Christmas tree. You do not know what is inside, but the giver of the gift loves us so much that whatever is inside will be something to be treasured. So when you rise each morning have great hopes and expect great things.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us continue to lift one another up in prayer each day. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS A special invitation! The Festival Choir from Advent Lutheran Church is presenting the Christmas Cantata at both services in the morning, 8:30 am and 11:00am. We would love to see you there. Peace, gc

1 comment:

orangesweetness said...

his ears had to have been ringing up in heaven because both of us were thinking of him on Saturday.