Monday, December 6, 2010

Happy Monday!

Matthew 6:13 “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil; For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever.”

As we continue through the holiday season the temptation to really go off a healthy eating plan is around every corner. Just about the time I tell myself, “Okay, no more sweets until whenever, a table full of tempting delicious goodies is presented and the promise I have made to myself is forgotten in the chocolate, gingerbread and peppermint deliciousness.

But I don’t think that succumbing to the temptation of chocolate is exactly what Jesus was talking about when He taught His disciples to pray this prayer. Perhaps the meaning of temptation goes a bit deeper. Here in this holiday time we are all busy. I am busy trying to get my papers graded and posted on the new grading system, completing my research paper, writing a sermon for my worship class and preparing for the candidacy interview among the things I do each day in teaching school and taking care of my family.

The temptation I think Jesus wants me to recognize is to use tiredness and busyness as an excuse to not share the message of Jesus with those I meet each day. My temptation is to not give an encouraging word to someone who is in need or to not fulfill the mission given by God through Jesus or to allow the evil one to invade my thoughts and actions and lead me off of the path of righteousness. These are the temptations that Satan uses to cause me to take my eyes off of Christ and back onto myself. How about you?

Scripture says that His is the kingdom, the power and the glory forever, not that Gaylene is the power, etc. Satan’s temptations are intended to tempt us to put ourselves above God and into Satan’s grasp. To conquer temptation is to recognize the Kingdom of God is born again in the babe of Bethlehem under the stars with shepherds and animals for witnesses and not even Satan himself could stop what God began.

God has begun a good work in each of us and even though we may walk off the path sometimes and temptations come before us, God is always there with His power to lead us away from temptation. As we journey toward Bethlehem this season of Advent let us focus on the light that led those first two travelers, Mary and Joseph, to the stable - those travelers who might have been tempted to turn around and go home, but chose to stay on the path and complete the mission God had given them.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us continue to lift each other up in prayer each day. Love you friends and mighty prayer warriors, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS Prayer alert! Bruce is giving my paper the once over twice and then I prepare to send it to my professor. Please pray for the words I have written and the one who will read it. I pray he will find it acceptable. gc

No comments: