Saturday, October 2, 2010

Happy Saturday!

It’s a great day to be a Horned Frog, but a tough day to be a Longhorn! But it was also a great day to be someone’s sister. Today my brother and I spent the morning at the Dallas Farmer’s Market. We have been trying to get together by ourselves for a while now. It was a perfect day for the market. The produce was gorgeous and so plentiful. The pumpkins were everywhere and the fall mums were absolutely beautiful. The best part of the time spent was simply the time spent with Ken having conversation, remembering the past, catching up on now and talking about the future. What an awesome day!

I have a sign on the mantle in our living room that says, “Families Are Forever.” I remember this day two years ago. It was the day of the Texas/OU football game and we watched the game at the hospital. There was definitely a line drawn down the middle of the room distinctively red and orange. The room was so full that the party continued across the hall into the Family Visiting Room. Each side of the room was loud and proud as their team scored or messed up and Casey loved the party. Not one time did a nurse come in and tell us to be quiet, but often came in and cheered for their team. With the Oklahoma win today I am sure Casey is smiling and hope he got to watch the game! I don’t know if heaven has the best parts of our lives waiting but if that is true, knowing Casey, he was tailgating with a Shiner on one hand and a bratwurst in the other! We miss you son.

John 5:30 “I can do nothing on my own. I judge as God tells me. Therefore, my judgment is just, because I carry out the will of the one who sent me, not my own will.”

God’s job would be so much easier if we really followed His will for our lives. You would think that after all God has done for us that following His will would be easy, because He has shown such tender mercies and blessed us so richly that you would think that we could follow His will with relative ease. But it is not always thus…
The truth is the first part of this verse hits me at the very core of my being. I can do nothing on my own. For example, I can read all of the books required by my professors. I am perfectly capable of reading, but if I do not ask God for knowledge beyond myself then I cannot interpret the material I have read and begin to understand its meaning. And when life hands us difficulties and we try to work it out ourselves it often turns out to be less than the answer or solution we had hoped. But when we ask God for His will to be done in the situation and stand back listening for His Word and His direction then the situation rights itself, because God ordained it by His design and our yielded will. And even if it does not happen right away, our yielded will, will bring joy and a sense of gladness.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us continue to pray for each other each day. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS Tomorrow is the last day for the Kairos Prison Weekend and I am very ready for Bruce to come home. Please pray for God to continue to work through the teams and into the lives of the inmates. Also please pray for travel mercy as they travel home tomorrow. Thanks, gc

No comments: