Sunday, August 15, 2010

Happy Saturday!

First update; our friend, Scott Pound, joined the Church Triumphant on Friday night. I ask your prayers for his parents Kathy and Robb and his wife of 13 years Melisa. He battled cancer for 7 years. Services are pending.

I was very saddened when I read the news of Scott’s death. My heart broke for Kathy, Robb and Melisa as I well know how their hearts are broken and the sadness they feel is greater than any emotion they have ever felt before. I have had numerous conversations with Kathy and she kept asking me how I got through it. The only thing I could tell her was the grace of God, prayer, both individual and corporate and being able to write daily. There is now a big hole in all of their lives that words, work or busyness can never fill. Scott, just like Casey, was never restored to health, but they were both most assuredly healed. Now this family needs to heal. Healing takes time. When one person in your life has a devastating disease, they carry the disease, but all who are close and walk the journey with them experience the disease, just in a different way. This family needs your prayers. There are no words of comfort, no matter how well meaning and kindly they are offered, but the ministry of prayer and presence has powerful meaning.

John 4:13, 14 “Whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him…shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.”

Water is an amazing gift from God. Water is used for cleansing and restoring. Water mixed with soap cleans the daily dirt from our bodies and when you drink it your body’s chemical balance can be restored. When showered on the grass or flowers it restores them to new life (especially this summer with temperatures consistently in the 100’s!)

God offers the gift of water. The water God offers is the gift of the living water of His love for us through Jesus and our baptism. God thought it important enough to use this precious symbol of His love that He required His own Son to be washed in the waters of the river as a symbol of leaving His private life behind and beginning His public life. This One life was completely committed and sacrificed to show God’s love for us and it all began with water.

Okay, folks, it is August in Texas. It’s hot, dry and then hot some more. Can you imagine someone, when offered a glass or bottle of ice cold water on one of these hot days saying, “No thanks?” How sad it must make God when this precious living water of eternal and everlasting life is offered and there are those who reject it.

One of the richest, choicest gifts God gives to us is the gift of water—His hand outstretched and free to all. There are still those who will not accept this amazing gift. God offers at no cost to us abundant live, joyous life, powerful life, and it all began with a dip in the river. Remember your baptism and live life abundantly and with everlasting joy!

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all and see you in worship, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: