Saturday, August 21, 2010

Happy Saturday!

2 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold all things are new.”

Our day began by attending the celebration of life service of Scott Pound. It was a well attended and a beautiful testimony to the life of Christ in Scott. He leaves behind parents, siblings, grandparents and his wife. On the back of the folder with his picture was a piece of his writing that was written late one night. He was appreciating the wife sleeping beside him, the cat purring quietly and other simple pleasures. His testimony through the pain and torment of chemotherapy and the disease of cancer was “What a wonderful world!” One of the speakers shared that “Scott always had a smile on his faith.” What a wonderful reflection of the peace that truly passes all understanding.

I must share that this was not an easy service for Bruce and I to attend. As Pastor Joel told me following the service “We have done too many of these services.” I replied, “This is one club that needs no more members - meaning a club whose members have buried their children.” The choir sang the lovely piece, “Be Not Afraid.” The last complete coherent sentence Casey spoke to me was, “Mom, I’m not afraid.” My prayers are with Scott’s family and they begin the journey of healing and grief at the loss of their son, brother, grandchild and husband. Please keep this family in your prayers.

This is a passage of scripture I have had written on my heart for a long time, but I never thought about it in this context before today. I have always thought about this verse in terms of a new relationship with Christ while still on the earth. Today I began to think about this scripture in terms of heavens citizens. When Casey died about 22 months ago he became a new creature. All of the old things of the earth passed away for him. All of the pain, hospitals, medications, twice daily blood draws, being sick from chemotherapy were gone and everything became new. I hope he was at the gate and greeted Scott just to tell him “You ain’t seen nothin’ yet!”

Casey and Scott may not have known each other but they had this one thing in common besides the disease of cancer. Their spirits were not earthbound. Their spirits were free by God’s presence in their lives. This freedom allowed their spirits to soar into the hands of the Father. Their bodies were tired, worn-out and used up be disease, but their spirits were free and at peace. Perhaps God whispered to each of them “Come unto me, all you that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest.”

Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned from these two wonderful young men. Maybe we need to let go of some of the things that keep us bound to this world. Maybe we need to smile more, speak kinder words, be more helpful to those who need help, pray more, love more and recognize and appreciate the love of God in our own lives each day. Let us make our spirits a bit less heavy laden and earthbound and prepare them to soar.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us continue to pray for each other. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS Sunday is Bruce’s birthday. Wish him a wonderful day!

No comments: