Sunday, August 8, 2010

Blessed Sunday!

Well, friends, I promised you a full report on the ordination at the St. Demitrius Greek Orthodox Church in Ft. Worth. They are celebrating their 100th anniversary this year. This was only the second ordination in all that time, so this was quite an honor to be present for this event.

Friends, “We ain’t in Kansas anymore!” WOW! I was completely fascinated by the service. It is a high liturgical service spoken and sung in Greek and English. There was this amazing “chanter” whom I am convinced has cast iron vocal chords. She sang almost continually for about an hour and a half. Her pitch never wavered and she sang wonderful stories from the Bible as well as liturgical service. In the service music there were words and phrases that were familiar, but not the melodies. There were no congregational hymns that we recognized, but the congregation did participate in the responses similar to Lutheran responses; “Lord have mercy…etc”. Also, there was an organ, but it was used only for musical pitches as ALL music was sung A Capella. The priests and Bishop all sang the liturgy.
There was a choir in the loft to lead some of the responses to the liturgy. One member of the choir was a beautiful lyric soprano with outstanding pitch who sang pieces of the music. There were often two or more things going on at once with the choir singing and priests praying aloud. It was almost an accompaniment.

The Lutheran Church calls their geographical areas Synods. The Greek Orthodox Church calls their geographical area a Metropolitan.” The Bishop is the head of a Metropolitan. This Bishop came from Denver to officiate at this ordination. A great deal of homage was paid to this man. He dressed a great deal like the Catholic pope; red and gold brocade robe, scepter, gold crown and he sat on a throne for part of the service. His name was Metropolis Isaiah. He had a voice that would not quit and a message that was quite wonderful. He was a baritone and when he sang, it sort of wrapped me in a blanket of warmth.

When it came time for communion I asked a parishioner from this congregation if open communion was practiced. Her response was “only if you are orthodox.” So today I observed communion and I asked some questions. When it was time to commune the congregation, a large silver goblet on a pedestal was placed in the center aisle and was rounded over with large cubes of bread. The priest stood at the altar area with a wine goblet and a spoon. The communicants were served wine with a spoon. There was host (bread) in the wine. The congregants went to the priest and received the wine first and then proceeded to the large goblet filled with bread and returned to their seats. I met the woman whom I spoke of earlier and she told me the practice is that congregants are not to receive Eucharist if they have eaten prior to worship. The practice is fasting before receiving so that your first meal of the day is the body and blood of Jesus.

This service is not my way to worship, but this service had extraordinary meaning for a practicing Greek Orthodox parishioner. The presence of the holiness of God was immediately felt in the chanting and the readings and the care each participant took to follow rites and rituals that have been in place for centuries. Our friend, Hayden, who was ordained into the priesthood today, told us that the worship service we had just experienced was contemporary fifth century worship!

I think the most impressive thing I walked away today is how the presence of God transcends language, music and non-familiar practices. When God is invited to worship He makes His presence known and all are able to understand something. Yes, it was totally different worship to any I have ever experienced, but the lordship of our sovereign Lord and the anointing of the Holy Spirit of our loving God was present. Praise God!

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes ( I wore heels today.) Count your blessings and say your prayers. I am praying for you. Please pray for our family. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS I am headed back to the classroom tomorrow. Say your prayers. Thanks. gc

No comments: