Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Happy Tuesday!

Today I had planned to be in my classroom and could not be there so I baked. I needed to do something creative with the unexpected time on my hands. But I also finished drafting the lesson I will present on the power of prayer at the Summer Women’s Bible Study to be held at Advent on the 21st of this month. So I did accomplish something!

Matthew 26: 39 “And He went a little farther, and fell on his face and prayed saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless not as I will, but as You will.”

Jesus was the perfect model of the godly life. This passage shows Jesus at His most human moment. Jesus knows what is ahead of him in the following days. The pain is going to be unbearable. The shame and humiliation is going to be indescribable and the loss He will experience as His closest friends scatter in fear may be the one of the deepest wounds of all. And yet, Jesus was so totally committed to seeing His Father’s work completed that He surrenders His own human will and says, “Not my will, but Your will.” Not the pain, the mocking, the agony, but His task to be completed on the cross.

This is a life that never strayed. This is a life that no outside interest or temptation came between Him and His heavenly Father and the mission for which He was created. This is the life we have seen modeled as written in the inspired Word. Jesus suffered greatly to show us of the Father’s love for us. He showed us that tribulation and suffering is going to happen to us. But the promise made is that even though trials come in our lives they are not a punishment for sin or a time when we have failed or even when we have misunderstood God and His plan for each of us. Jesus told us that there would be hard times in this world, but to be of good cheer for He had overcome the world. Our task is to learn of the One who overcame, by learning to overcome!

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us remember each other in prayer each day. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: