Saturday, July 31, 2010

Happy Saturday!

Tonight we attended the dissolving of a 20 year ministry. The NTNL Lutheran Happening is no more.

Participants were coming few and far between and adult sponsorship was dwindling. It was a bittersweet time as we renewed old friendships with those who had attended the very first Happening events to those who had attended more recent weekends. There were three spiritual directors present to lead worship and preside over Eucharist so I led the congregation in song with the band behind me. Geni and Travis read the scripture lessons and Travis presided as Youth Rector during worship. My children make me very proud.

When we got to the end of the service we gathered around and sang the Michael W. Smith song, Friends. We closed every Happening with that song. I really missed Casey tonight and asked God if Casey could just peak down from heaven and watch his brother, sister and friends joined in worship. Geni told me, “Oh Mom, Casey was here.” There were some smiles and tears and a belief that Happening was not finished but just moving on hopefully to a new location.

It was a joy to watch my own children grow spiritually through Happening. They all three served on numerous teams and were all Rectors (youth leaders) on weekend events. It was a joy to serve on these teams as a Spiritual Director and get to do silly things to share the love of God through Jesus with these wonderful young people. It is a ministry I will miss and hope at some time will return.

2 Chronicles 5:13 “As the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the Lord.”

Tonight as we said our good-byes we were all searching for something for which to be glad. When something comes to an end God calls us to find something for which to be thankful. I listened to each person who spoke tell how thankful they were for what Happening had meant in their life. Travis shared how much Happening meant to him as he dealt with the loss of Casey. I gave thanks for being able to witness and share these spiritually forming years with these young people.

When we are thankful when it is hard to be thankful, it is called the sacrifice of praise. It means to seek diligently something for which to be thankful in each of life’s happenings. In seeking something for which to be thankful even when it is so hard will cause joy to spring into your heart.

Today I received an email for a friend telling of how a mother accidentally backed over her one year old child. The child did not survive. I do not know how to find the sacrifice of praise in this situation. I just know I have been in prayer for this family all day. When we lost Casey the thankfulness we offered up was that God allowed us to spend this last year of Casey’s life with him.

We have great power over Satan when we are thankful in the most difficult and devastating of moments and situations. Maybe thankfulness does not come right away but asking God to give you a glad and thankful heart will open to door to hear His voice and receive His blessings.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. I am praying for you; please continue your prayers for this family. Love you all and see you in worship, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: