Monday, July 26, 2010

Happy Monday!

I finished writing my paper today. Praise God!! I have given it to Bruce to give it the once over twice and hopefully it will be in the hands (or at least the computer) of my teacher tomorrow.

Sunday, I was presented with a beautiful prayer shawl in sort of a southwest pink color by the prayer shawl ministry of our church. As I worked on this paper, I set it beside me, prayed for God’s guidance and my openness to hear Him and His message and I was finished in a reasonably short time. Bruce came home for lunch and I was working on the paper. I started screaming and he ran out of the office. These were screams of joy as I figured out how to tie it all together. When I finished I felt like I had lost the final 15 pounds I need to lose in a single afternoon! (But no such luck)

Colossians 3:13 “Forbearing one another and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any; even as Christ forgave you, so also you must too.”

The final paper I was to write was how to insert pastoral care into the lives of the family in the movie Ordinary People starring Donald Sutherland, Mary Tyler Moore and Timothy Hutton. Mary Tyler Moore is the mother who has lost her oldest son to a tragic boating accident and then almost loses her other son (Timothy Hutton) to an attempted suicide. She builds a near impervious wall of separation around herself and treats her remaining son without love, affection, understanding or any recognition that he has experienced loss also. Her character made me really angry.

So I had to put into practice what I was taught in the class and by my very wise hubby. I had to remove myself from the scenario and remember that I was God’s representative and my anger and judgment would serve no purpose in this woman’s life or assist her in her healing.

I pulled the paper through the story of Peter as he meets Jesus by the lake following the resurrection. The story is a story of reconciliation, forgiveness and being welcomed back into fellowship with God through Jesus. The family in the movie needed to reconcile as a family, receive forgiveness and give forgiveness to each other.

God lost His son to murder. And if He could forgive the angry mob, forgive the ones who drove the nails and those who mocked Him, He can and does forgive us of our rather “ordinary” sins. God calls us to show His merciful love and grace and forgive others as He has shown us forgiveness.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. I am praying for you. Thank you for praying for me and please continue to pray for our family. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: