Saturday, July 10, 2010

Happy Saturday!

John 2:11 “This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested for his glory, and His disciples believed on Him.”

I love this story. The story of the wedding at Cana where Jesus turns the water into wine, talks back to His mother and keeps the party going! Jesus never let a teaching opportunity get away. Jesus spent His ministry preaching and teaching. He taught His disciples. In this lesson He announced His Lordship, His ability to perform miracles and what His purpose was here on earth through the object lesson of water into wine.

Jesus demonstrated that He had come to change all the old ways into new ways. The water placed into those jars was changed into the new wine of salvation. Jesus was teaching the disciples that they too must change from their old beliefs and ways into new ways. Jesus taught the disciples that when He was gone they must carry on in His place. Jesus charged the disciples to preach, teach, baptize, heal and set free the captives in His name. Jesus taught them to pray and gave them the authority to perform miracles in His name.

Jesus would perform many more miracles after the first miracle at Cana. The disciples would become empowered by Jesus to perform miracles and we, as His disciples, are called and charged to perform miracles, too. I have never touched someone and physically healed them, but I have touched someone and helped them to feel love. I have sat and listened to someone and helped them to get their burden off their chest; I have held them if they needed to cry or sing with joy. How many times have you taken over a plate of brownies to a friend, or helped them do something, sent a card or made a phone call to someone and it changed their whole day and made it brighter? I think those are daily miracles. A miracle is simply an act of love that someone gladly sacrifices for another.

We can’t turn water into wine, but we can turn lemons into lemonade. Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all and see you in worship. Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: