Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Happy Tuesday!

Today was my first day of Introduction to Pastoral Care. It was wonderful! The students are so nice and the professor is really great. I already have a test tomorrow. I have stopped studying for a few moments to do a bit of writing.

We had several written reflections to write during class today. We also did some role playing within a small group. Each member had to be a pastor and then a parishioner. We had a group of four so two of us practiced the role play while the other two observed and took notes. Then we switched roles until all had a turn at each part. We all have different stories of how we came to seminary, but there are some in the class who also are feeling the call to hospital chaplaincy. It is going to be a very busy three weeks, but I believe it will be a really awesome three weeks. The learning is going to be so helpful.

Luke 4: 18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, for He has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim the captives will be released, that the blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free, and that the time of the Lord’s favor has come.”

This is the passage that is the calling card for the pastoral care giver. Today, (you may get to walk through this class with me) we defined what the pastoral care giver does and then studied the functions of the pastoral care giver. As I read one of the readings and listened to our professor today this is the definition of pastoral care that spoke best to me; “To bring the inner meaning of the gospel to someone at their point of need. Pastoral care is the art of spiritual discipline which calls for the emptying of one’s self so that the Holy Spirit can work and others can love God through us.” This statement is a combination of three different definitions of pastoral care. This definition is a mighty calling to which to aspire.

Each of us can be a care giver, whether we are in Seminary or not. The Spirit of the Lord is upon us. We can teach, preach and help others to know Christ and His healing. We can listen; we can sympathize, empathize, share the gospel and pray with those who are in need of healing and sustaining. We can offer ourselves to others just as Jesus did… as a friend. Be a friend…love a friend…help a friend.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Thank you for your prayers and I am praying for each of you. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: