Monday, July 5, 2010

Blessed Sunday and Happy Independence Day!!

WOW! It has been an awesome day. Our day began with singing the wonderful old Wilhowski version of The Battle Hymn of the Republic. Advent was at its finest today in celebrating the birthday of the United States. Highlights included a Skype visit from one of our young men who is stationed in Bahrain. He got to see and talk to his Mom and Dad through the magic of computers and a big screen. It was so wonderful. This young man’s name is Casey and I must admit the tears rolled down as I watched his parents ask questions and just look at their handsome son who is so far away.

The Pledge of Allegiance was led by our newest citizen, Adeline Brewer. At the 11:00 service we were treated by a very emotional rendition of God Bless America by Amanda Truesdale. Following the service an old fashioned picnic lunch was served including fried chicken, watermelon and all the trimmings. It was a fantastic celebration.

Luke 10: 2 “These were His instructions to them: The harvest is great, but the workers are few. So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; as Him to send more workers into His fields.”

Today I submitted my application for candidacy to the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran church in America). I sort of did this backwards. Normally, a candidate submits their application to the Synod, then, after receiving approval, begins their studies in a recognized seminary.

I, on the other hand, began my studies at Brite Divinity School at TCU two years ago and now I have submitted my application to be a candidate for the ministry. I have been putting this off and I am not sure exactly why. After listening to Pastor Joel’s sermon this morning I knew I could put this off no longer.

In his sermon today, Pastor spoke of being in the Jesus Draft. Jesus chose 72 other disciples beyond the original 12 go out in His name and by His authority to preach, teach, heal and spread the good news of God’s love for them. Jesus did not just randomly gather these folk on a Saturday afternoon and tell them, “Okay. Put your sandals on and walk. Tell others about Me and then let Me know how this works out for you.” No, Jesus spent time training these 72 people. Then He sent them out in pairs with specific instructions as to how to be gracious in homes and in towns while also telling them if they were not welcomed to blow it off, but do not stop, just go on to the next town and try again. The result was extraordinary, radical joy as they returned to Jesus with their reports of victories won in His name.

This time of instruction begins for me this coming week as I will begin a class in Pastoral Care. Here is the first class I will take that will begin to prepare me for the calling I have received. I have received the syllabus for the class which includes readings, assignments and activities within the class times. I will receive instruction and then, as the syllabus presents, practice in listening in the craft of pastoral care.

I ask for your prayers as I begin this class. I am really excited and just a bit nervous. I am also a bit anxious about this candidacy process. There is a lot of testing and interviewing, but I believe that God has called me to this ministry and will walk with me each step of the way. For I not only have been called, but I have been drafted by God into His service and there is no turning back.

Friends, not everyone goes to seminary, but we who believe have been drafted into God’s service. At our baptism we were sealed with the cross of Christ forever and called into His service. We all are the ones He intends to send out to teach, preach, heal and spread the good news of God and His love and salvation. Christ is counting on us. There is no turning back!

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: