Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happy Saturday!

Luke 11:1 “And it came to pass, that as He was praying in a certain place…one of His disciples said to Him, Lord, teach us to pray.”

Today Geni was watching a cooking show on the Food Network. She came to me and said, “Mom, you need to come and watch this woman make this recipe.” Geni paused the show until I could get there to watch the recipe being made. We had the recipe for dinner tonight.

When I don’t know how to do something I usually locate and read instructions, but I am not the visual learner my husband is. I am more of a tactile learner and an aural learner. I need to listen to someone explain and take notes or I need to watch someone do something and then go home and try it myself to have full understanding of what I need to do.

Jesus taught His disciples to pray. Jesus taught His disciples to pray the way He prayed to His Father. When Jesus prayed to the Father He would go apart from the crowd to pray. It was at those times Jesus needed to spend time with the Father in conversation. The disciples knew the prayer practices of Jesus and longed to have the same relationship with the Father as He did, so they asked to be taught. Jesus did not write this prayer down (even though someone did!).

Jesus stopped what He was doing and simply said, “When You pray, begin with Our Father…” Jesus showed His disciples how to pray and taught them the importance of prayer. He taught them in prayer to address God as Father, to pray reverently, to praise, to give thanks, to ask forgiveness and to acknowledge God’s lordship, power and authority of all of heaven and earth. He taught them how important it was to get apart and talk to and listen to God. Jesus received His daily directions from God through daily prayer.

We are Jesus’ disciples. We are followers of Christ. These same lessons of prayer and prayer practices are the same for us as they were for those original disciples of long ago. Let us ask God in prayer to teach us to pray. Let us each set apart a time for study of the Word and conversation with God through the One who taught us to pray, “Our Father…”

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all and Happy Father’s Day Eve! Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: