Monday, June 21, 2010

Blessed Sunday and Happy Father’s Day to all you Dads out there!

I received an email tonight from a old friend I had not heard from in years. She was my next door neighbor. She saw Mom and Dad at a play and then found me on the computer. She shared with me that both of her parents were gone and how she wished she still had them around. Her words made me appreciate that my parents were still with us and we could still celebrate occasions together.

Psalm 91:10 “There shall no evil befall you, neither shall any plague come near your dwelling.”

Growing up with my parents was amazing. When other kids were fighting with their parents I came home to a peaceful home filled with love, understanding and an intense sense of security in the love my parents had for each other and for me and my brother. They both expected obedience. Don’t get me wrong, my brother and I had our share of disobedience but discipline was always fair and befitting our wayward ways. The one I remember most distinctly was when I was in high school Daddy had taken me to the basketball game at the high school and left me with enough money for refreshments and an extra quarter with explicit instructions to call when the game was over so he could come and pick me up. During the game an ice storm hit and before I could call home a boy I really liked said he would take me home. So without calling to simply say, “Daddy, I have a ride home with Danny”, we left the basketball game. Well I was very late getting home because of the ice on the roads and we lived out in the country.

When I finally arrived at home Mom was there, but Daddy was out looking for me, terribly worried that something had happened to me. When he got home, right after the look of relief showed on his face that I was okay, the discipline came and I think I was grounded for what seemed at that time like eternity. Why didn’t I just call? Why did I act in disobedience?

Well, I did not experience plagues or evil, but I did see the inside of my dwelling for the next several weeks. Instead of asking for permission or just calling Daddy to tell him my plans had changed I went ahead without notice. Sort of a “forgiveness is easier to get than permission” attitude.

Isn’t that how we deal with our will and God? How often do we forge ahead and ask God to bless it later without receiving His blessing and His permission first? Totally guilty on that one! We need to wait to hear God’s will and then obey. This is where the listening to God in our prayer life is so important. When we are obedient we need not fear that what we are doing is wrong because when we come to God in Jesus name and wait for an answer we receive His full blessing. God works His Will in our lives when we are obedient.

Take joy in the journey. Phone ahead! Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: