Friday, June 18, 2010

Happy Friday and Happy birthday Casey!

As I do on each of my children’s birthdays I remember the day of their birth and each detail. My favorite memory of the day Casey was born is when I was awakened by this screaming baby being wheeled down the hall and it was Casey. He was crying so hard he had made himself hoarse and was keeping the other babies awake. The nurses took that screaming baby out of the isolet and placed him in my arms. He was immediately quiet. The nurses looked at us in disbelief and simply said, “He already knows you.” And that was the relationship Casey and I had for 24 years. We were joined at the hip. Yes, we fought at times as mothers and sons do and there was discipline involved when necessary, but our closeness never changed.

God gave me a wonderful gift when He allowed me to spend the last year of Casey’s life in such an intimate way. I will forever miss Casey, but I will always be grateful that I was granted the gift of getting to know about the life of Christ in him. I was witness to an amazing bravery, courage and unshakable faith. I thought I had a strong faith until I watched Casey face the disease without complaint and an ever present smile on his face.

So today I got up and cooked. Casey loved to cook. I remade a recipe that failed once before into a success. Maybe Casey was watching nearby and telling me this will work this time. It was a delicious pancake soufflé filled with strawberries, blackberries and vanilla infused oil.

Tonight we are going to Central Market. There is a band playing there tonight on the patio. We will remember Casey’s birthday with food including a red velvet cake (his favorite) and music. Those were his two favorite things and with his family all present the evening would be perfect for him. Casey’s faith, music and family encompassed his life.

Do you suppose when Casey reached heaven that Jesus welcomed him with the words “I already know you”? Did Jesus cradle my child in His arms and tell him how much He loved him and welcomed him home? The scriptures say that there are no tears in heaven so I feel pretty sure that God did not calm a screaming baby. I like to think He greeted a precious young man with an unshakable faith, a winning smile, a twinkle in his eye and song in his heart.

Someday, when I meet the Father face to face, I pray that He will say to me, “I already know you. Welcome home.”

Take joy in the journey. Get some rest! Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

An addendum to this story: We made it to the Central Market but couldn’t find a table to sit at to eat and enjoy the music, so we came back to Arlington and enjoyed a fine meal at the Texas Land and Cattle Company. Our favorite waitress served us and even cut Casey’s cake for us, so we shared his cake with Jenny and several other servers there. That may become our new tradition on Casey’s birthday, to share his cake.

No comments: