Saturday, May 15, 2010

Happy Saturday!

Today seemed to be the day for graduation parties. Bruce and I went to two celebratory events today. One was a high school graduation party and the other a college graduation. Both were very different events and both very exciting, fun with families so proud of their graduates. I do not remember the last time we have attended two parties in the same afternoon.

“And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.” I was thinking about this particular verse of the Lord’s Prayer today. I began to think about evil. Another word for evil is Satan. Evil is not just ghastly things that happen to people by someone else’s hand or an evil, devastating disease that is life-taking, but evil is really a lot closer to home and it happens to all of us daily.

Evil is any time we allow Satan to invade our thoughts. Evil is fear. Evil is doubt. Evil is dissension and separation. Evil is anything that steals the gifts of joy, peace, rest, gladness and faith from us. Fear and doubt are tools Satan uses to distract us from remembering how much God loves us and the powerful gifts of faith and grace freely given through Jesus’ death and resurrection.

“Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from fear, doubt, separation from You, being judgmental, dissension and from the evil one.”

When Casey was in the hospital in Houston he came to a time when the news was not good. I remember the day I made a sign and placed it outside our door which simply read “Satan, you have no power here.” It was a statement born out of being tired of the evil one trying with all of his might to steal our joy and keep us from staying focused the One who could provide the healing for bodies and souls. When the times seem so hard claim the name of Jesus and tell Satan he has no power because God is present.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all and see you in worship, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: