Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Monday!

Three Mondays to go and 18 days! Today was one of those days if I asked the students in my classroom to raise their hands, they would raise both feet! They would not stop talking and listen. Procedures taught since the first day of school were forgotten today and it made for a frustrating day. But tomorrow is another day and the students get another chance and so do I.

John 21: 15 This passage is from the Amplified Bible. “When they had eaten, Jesus said to Simon Peter, Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these [others do—with reasoning, intentional, spiritual devotion, as one loves the Father]? He said to Him, “Yes, Lord You that I love You [that I have deep, instinctive, personal affection for You, as for a close friend]. He said to him, Shepherd (tend) My sheep.”

The Amplified Bible is sort of like having a thesaurus and dictionary within a passage of scripture. It helps to get a deeper understanding of certain phrases.

Did you ever wonder why Jesus addressed Peter as “Simon, son of John?” Jesus had not called Peter “Simon” since He changed his name to Peter and gave him is commission to be the rock upon which the Church would be built. After Jesus’ death the disciples went back to their old way of life. They went fishing. Jesus, however, had not called them back to the sea and the boats. Jesus had called them to fish for men. So when Jesus saw what they were doing He called Peter by his birth name; Simon, son of John. In his grief and shame Peter had forgotten His call. So Jesus asks Simon if he loves Him and if so feed My sheep.

Jesus does not call Simon by the name “Peter” again in this passage nor does he call Simon "Peter" all the way to the end of the chapter (which is the end of the book). Jesus does tell Simon, son of John, that when he was young someone took care of him. Someone dressed him and carried him where he needed to go. Jesus tells Simon, son of John, that one day others would carry him where he did not want to go, bind him and stretch out his arms to the glory of God. Jesus continued to remind Peter that he could not go back to his old life. He had been called to a life of hardships through a life of obedience. When Peter asks Jesus about how John would glorify God, Jesus tells Peter that how John dies is of no importance to him (Peter), but what was important was that he (Peter) follow Christ.

When we come into relationship with Christ we are called to leave our old life behind and follow Him. We are called to love God in truth and obedience. We are called to be shepherds, fishermen, teachers and potters. We become the vessels through which God works His amazing and loving change in His people.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

Prayers for: Tony and Cherri Brown, my Aunt Linda, my niece Stephanie’s grandfather - Slats McCord; and Mom’s cataract surgery on Wednesday. Thank you, gc

No comments: