Friday, May 14, 2010

Happy Friday!

I pray this writing finds you all well and drying out from the soaking rain we experienced today.

Geni assisted her class of students in the Special Olympics held at Arlington Heights High School in Fort Worth today. The students were able to finish all of their activities before the bottom dropped out of the sky. I think it was during their lunch (while eating outside) that the rain began. Most of the children are in wheelchairs and strollers and I am sure it was no small feat to get them all into a dry area before they were soaked, but I think they made it! Geni said all of the children had a great time.

Each day at school we begin with the pledge to the United States flag and then to the Texas flag and then there is a moment of silence. This sacred moment of silence (I call it sacred because it is about the only time the students are really quiet!) lasts about one minute. In that moment I seek out God and have a really concentrated prayer time. (Yes, my regular prayer time is in the car going to work, but there is still traffic to focus on. My other prayer time are my “nightie-nights”, and I usually fall asleep in mid-prayer. I had a principal refer to her bedtime prayers as nightie-nights.) So this brief moment in the day has become really precious to me.

Song of Solomon 1:7 “Tell me, O thou whom my soul loveth, where you feed and where you make your flock to rest at noon.”

Solomon’s longing for a relationship with God is summed up in this verse. Solomon is seeking a time to be with God. Solomon is telling God how much he loves Him and asks, “where do you take your meals and where do you rest the flock or where and when do you take a break, I would like to talk and just be with you.” Solomon is asking for alone time with God. Solomon is telling God I will come to you, just tell me where you are and when will you be there. I guess Solomon was so busy with his “urban renewal” project he did not have the time he really needed for God and he really desired some one-on-one with the Father.

When do we spend our uninterrupted time with God? In that moment each day with a classroom of children I try to get a lot of praying done. Maybe like most of us, we get a lot done when we are in a time crunch. So find a time in the day for some really concentrated and focused time with God. Tell God not only the great big things, but also the small everyday things. When we tell God the big and the small we develop intimacy with Him and we get to know Him better as one who loves us completely and we learn to trust Him with everything.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings, say your prayers and for the next day of two carry an umbrella. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: