Sunday, May 2, 2010

Happy Saturday!

Today has been a day spent in prayer. This morning I received a phone call from Mom and Dad to tell me that Mom is having cataract surgery this coming week. I also found out that my cousin Tony’s wife, Cherri, who has ovarian cancer, has been placed on hospice care in their home. Tony recently lost his son to a freak accident. My heart has ached for Tony and I have prayed for Cheri’s comfort and God’s tender mercies on both of them. Tony and Cheri are both people with a very strong faith.

Doc Adams, Casey’s oncologist here in Arlington, would often tell us that the destination was never in question, but sometimes the journey sucks. Right now, from where I stand (or sit as is the case), the journey sucks pretty bad. I wish I did not understand how they feel, but I do understand. There are no words of comfort that will make the heartache go away. So I will continue to pray for them daily and call often. I ask for your prayers for both Mom as she faces surgery and for Tony and Cherri as they face this journey together.

Isaiah 55: 9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than you thoughts.”

How appropriate for this passage to be the focus of tonight’s thoughts. During the time when Casey was sick we asked many questions, but the one question we never asked was “why?” We asked God for guidance. We asked God for supply. We asked God for healing and wellness. We (Casey and I) asked God to help us not to be so homesick. And all of those requests were answered. When there was no more to be done and all earthly efforts had been made to arrest or reverse the cancer then we asked God for His tender mercies and not allow Casey to suffer long. God was kind and merciful, but not before he accomplished His purpose through Casey’s life and in His death.

God does not cause disease to come upon people. Neither Casey nor Cheri did anything to cause themselves to have this devastating disease. But what God has done through their lives is show the world that no matter what is going on in your life, whether you have perfect health or a life taking illness, God is still working and others come to know Him because God loves all of us so much. God took Casey home to be with Him for all eternity. I don’t know what God has in store for Cherri, but I do know that as long as she is still here, God will continue to work through her.

God is our Father and He sent Jesus to be our Lord and Savior. He also sent Jesus to be our servant. Servants are called to see to the comfort and well-being of others, especially those who are sick. Please keep these precious souls in your prayers.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all dear friends and mighty prayer warriors, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS Bruce went back to the prison to be a part of the instructional weekend. He saw the two men who were my prayer partners for the weekend. They were thankful for my letters and prayers. Then they told Bruce that they were praying for me too. It was sort of a holy moment. So tonight pray for those in prison; those behind razor wire and concrete and those who make prisons of their own choosing. May they find freedom in the love and forgiveness of Jesus. gc

PSS Tomorrow Bruce and I will be serving churches in Rocket and Palmer, Texas. Please pray for travel mercy, worship tomorrow and that God will bless us as we sing and share with these two congregations. gc

No comments: