Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Happy Wednesday!

Matthew 11: 28 “Come to Me all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”

Today’s devotion from my new book “The Coffee Mom’s Devotional” is called The Daily Grind. I am such a coffee Mom. I either bring coffee from school or stop at the local Starbucks and get a cup. And with Bluetooth earpiece in place I begin with phone calls and try to take care of business , pay bills, set appointments and find out who is going to be home for dinner all before I get home.

It is the month of May. For a teacher the two busiest months are August, when I am preparing for the year ahead, and May, when I am putting the year to bed. It seems that there is something different due each day that has to go “downtown”(to the Admin building) and, even though I still have lessons to teach, I seem to be spending more time in final assessments, final reports, and end of the year wrap-up with 4 ½ weeks of school left. There is so much to do and so little time to accomplish all of the things that must be done.

When others look at me they see a longtime teacher who still loves her job. Somehow each year I get all of these things done on time, but not without a lot of stress and a fair amount of weariness. If I do not get all of these things accomplished by the last day I do not get to go home for the summer; until all papers are in, my room passes inspection and checked-off, all I’s dotted and all t’s crossed. The good news is that God does not love me for what I do. He loves me for what I am: His child. He cares far more about my heart than what I do in my busy life as a wife, mother, teacher and student. My devotion text says, “We are human beings, not human doings.”

I must learn to trust God with all my heart and lean not on my own understanding. I must believe that I will get accomplished what is important and He will make the path straight. God wants my heart and forgives the failures of what I do not get done.

Friends, there are lots of people who are under stress. In our house there are finals yet to be taken and studying yet to be done. There are lots of ways to be stressed and lots of things yet to be done. Just remember to take some time from your busy life of stuff to do and spend some time with God. When we spend time with God the stresses seem a bit less and when we spend time in His Word then the frustrations and stresses come into a better perspective and we can handle them because we are no longer in control and God takes over. His Word tells us that He will make our path straight if we trust in Him.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and enjoy a great cup of coffee. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS Mom’s cataract surgery has been moved to next Wednesday.

No comments: