Sunday, May 23, 2010

Blessed Sunday to you all!

Today was both Pentecost and Consecration Sunday at Advent. Red was the color of the day. Bruce and I both wore our It’s Good to Be Lutheran t-shirts. Later in the day the kids and I took Jackson and Lamar to the park for a walk and I was still wearing my shirt. A woman who was also walking her dog stopped me and said, “It is good to be Lutheran?” We chatted for a moment and I issued an invitation to worship with us at Advent. You just never know when or where you will get a chance to invite someone to worship with you and become closer to Christ.

Acts 2. The story of the day of Pentecost always amazes me. All of those different languages and cultures gathered together in one place and the Holy Spirit descends allowing them to understand the message of Christ in their own language even though it is being spoken by a single voice. Peter had prepped the crowd for this reception even though I don’t think he knew that this event was going to happen at that moment. Peter was being obedient to the calling of Jesus and telling the crowd about the crucifixion, resurrection and ascension of Christ. This crowd was being covered in grace and became part of a miracle with the descending of the Holy Spirit. God did not ask this congregation to speak in a different tongue. He allowed them to hear His message in their own language so now they can go back to their own communities and countries and begin congregations in the name of the living God and the risen Christ.

We may not all be called to begin a new congregation, but we are all called to get the message of Jesus out to all who will listen. We don’t need a special language, we just need Christ in our hearts and the presence of the Holy Spirit to lead us to tell the story. Consecration is not just about money. It is about giving back to God what He has so kindly and graciously given to us. He gave us His Son and our salvation for all eternity. You don’t even need to wear a special shirt to call attention to whether you are Lutheran or other denomination. You just need to have Jesus in your heart and the willingness to share His story and what He has done for you with someone else. Would this be a story you would want to miss? Just throwing it out there…

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all and happy birthday Church! Peace be the journey, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: