Wednesday, April 14, 2010


Happy Wednesday!

1 Corinthians 12: 6 “God works through different people in different ways, but it is the same God who achieves His purpose through them.”

I reflected on this scripture a few days ago, but it has come before me again and so I would like to share some more thoughts.

God has given to each of us the same ministry; the ministry of reconciliation. The ministry of reconciling the world back to God has been given to each of us, but because we are all different that ministry is not going to carried out in the same ways by each of us.

I work with many children who are gifted, but I also believe that all school children have gifts as do all children of God. There is a little boy in my class who is truly gifted in math. His brain is wired to do complex math problems in his head. He does not need (for his own edification) to show how he worked out the problem. I, on the other hand, as His teacher, do need to know this. The point is that he did not do anything to attain this gift. He did not choose the gift nor did he purposefully develop it; the gift was given to him. However, even though he is a brilliant math student and a good reader, he does not write well and in fact, when I set him down to a blank sheet of paper, most likely when I return to check on him the paper is still blank.

No one is given all gifts in academics and no one is given all of the spiritual gifts. Academic gifts are most often self serving and will get you good grades and eventually scholarships, but spiritual gifts are not for our glory, but for the glory of God. These gifts, so lovingly and carefully chosen for each of us, are an expression of God’s grace to each of us. The gifts that we are given are to be used in His service and for the benefit of others. In turn, the gifts others have received are to benefit you and me. Our spiritual gifts are given long before we are a twinkle on someone’s eye and as soon as we are able, we need to discover our gifts and set about developing them.

Take some time and take an inventory of your heart. What is your first, best connection to God? Are you someone who prays? Are you someone who listens? Are you someone who loves the Word and can give comfort and understanding?

What are God’s gifts in you? What do you do share your gifts with others? Just some thoughts for the journey…

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you also much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: