Friday, January 15, 2010

Happy Thursday!

I went to my first class this semester at Brite. The class is called Practical Theology: The Book of Common Prayer. The class is largely filled with Episcopalians with a couple of Methodists, one non denominational and one Lutheran. I will spend this semester studying worship practices of the Episcopal Church, history, theology and prayer. As ghastly as my last semester class was, this class is wonderful! We spoke of the Holy Spirit, holiness, holy moments, etc…this class is going to be so awesome. Two and a half hours seem to zoom by and it was time to go. One of our practices in the class will be to lead worship within the class each week. Next Thursday night the Lutheran (that would be me) will lead worship. I am the first one up to bat so to speak. I am really excited. Travis said, “Mom, your class is on prayer? Way to go!” This was followed by a large high five! This semester my class begins at 5:15 pm and ends at 7:45. It makes for a long day, but I believe it will be a wonderful close to the day.

Isaiah 26:5 “You, Lord, give perfect peace to those who keep their purpose firm and put their trust in You.”

What drives your life? My goal is to retire from teaching in a year and a half and continue my studies at Brite and become a hospital chaplain. These two paths in my life are important and a great deal of my energies are taken up with teaching and all that goes with it and studying, writing and attending class at Brite. But these parts of my life are not the driving motivation for my life. My life is driven God’s love. No matter what I do today or years from now when I graduate I must act in God’s love. God’s purpose for me is the same as His purpose for you. God’s purpose is for each of us to model the godly life in Jesus to all we meet. Whether I am to be a hospital chaplain or a gum scraper at a movie theater God’s perfect peace will be present as I continue to trust Him more each day.

We are all products of our past. God is taking this school teacher of 30 years and preparing her to take on a whole new career by the time she is 60. If God changed a murderer, Moses, into a leader, and a coward, Gideon, into a hero then He can change each of us into what He desires for each of us to become as long as we keep His purpose in our focus.

Take joy in the journey my friends. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS Friday is Travis’ birthday. He already, at this very late writing, has turned 19.

No comments: