Sunday, January 10, 2010

Blessed Sunday to you all!

John 10:10 “I Am come that they might have life and that they might have it more abundantly.”

Tonight this writing comes from the kitchen. It is still a bit cool in some parts of the house and the kitchen is warmer. I love my kitchen. I love the creative outlet it allows. Today, I grilled my first marinated chicken wings for lunch. They were so good! It will definitely be a repeated meal choice.

As I sat down to write tonight I began to look back over the last several entries and there seems to be a running theme of prayer. I am beginning a new semester at Brite on this Thursday evening. The class is on the Common Book of Prayer. Prayer is so important to me and given the events of the last two years I have practiced prayer a lot. Prayer is now etched into my soul. Prayer is where we learn the rules of eternity.

In the Lutheran Church today it was the day to remember the Baptism of Jesus. I love this story because the act of baptism and Eucharist (Communion) are the “God present with us” events that tie us to Jesus. A former pastor of ours called it our “spiritual DNA.”

When we come to Jesus we are given eternal life. Everything we do and say springs forth from the new life that is within us. That new life is Jesus. Randy Travis sings a wonderful baptism song titled, “Down with the Old Man, Up with the New.” When we come to Jesus as repentant sinners, His forgiving blood covers and soaks us in His eternal love. It is that moment that we are marked with the mark of Eternal Life with the One who gave His life for us. When we receive this ultimate gift of Eternal Life our learning and service have just begun.

When Jesus was baptized His work had just begun. His private life was over and His public life was now begun. The scripture had then been fulfilled with the words of Isaiah:

1 “But now, thus says the LORD, your Creator, O Jacob,
And He who formed you, O Israel,
Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name; you are Mine!
2 “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And through the rivers, they will not overflow you."

We must pass through the waters of baptism just as Jesus if we are to be in relationship with Him and receive Eternal Life. God told Jesus in His voice from heaven that in this act of obedience He was well pleased with Jesus, His Son. . When I was baptized in the fourth grade I did not hear a voice from heaven, but I know that from that moment on I was changed.

Remember your baptism. Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, a warm jacket, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: