Thursday, June 25, 2009

Happy Thursday! I began this day on the deck with a cup of coffee, the computer and a few quiet moments. I soon learned that Farrah Fawcett had lost her battle with cancer. I was saddened by this as I know how this horrible disease is so evil that all it does is take and take and never gives anything. Cancer does not know fame, age, fortune or poverty. It does not know prestige or lowliness. It does not know male, female or the character and heart of the host in which it attaches itself. It simply invades and then goes on the attack.

Proverbs 19:21 “People can make all kinds of plans, but only the Lord’s plans will happen.”

I close each journal entry with the phrase “take joy in the journey.” I remember when I began closing my nightly updates on Casey’s progress with this phrase. Casey and I were in Houston at MD Anderson Hospital. For a place that deals with the most devastating disease imaginable, the hospital is a place of joy. The chemotherapy had beaten Casey up pretty badly and it seemed that all we were receiving was discouraging news and he was so terribly sick. I was 300 miles from Bruce, Geni and Travis, my church, my job and my dogs. I hadn’t slept in our bed in a very long time and Satan was on the attack with discouragement. And then one day I just got tired and told Satan that he had no power here and to take a hike. That was when I remembered who was in charge of this journey. It was not me, it was not the staff at MD Anderson and it was not Satan. It was God. I remembered that scripture from Romans that said, “If God be for us who can be against us.” When I claimed that scripture my spirits became lighter and joy returned. It was the turning point for me in the journey with Casey.

God did not choose cancer as Casey’s destiny. Cancer just happened. What God chose for Casey is the same thing He chooses for all of us. God chose salvation to be our destiny. God’s plan for each of us is to know Him through His Son, Jesus and to experience the joy He has destined for each of through the power of the Holy Spirit. God’s plans and His itinerary include stops that encourage our journey. The moment I remembered that God was in control was a stop of encouragement that allowed me to face and work through whatever the next step in Casey’s care needed to be.

So I guess tonight’s question is “Who is in charge of your journey?” Is discouragement, fear, sadness, uncertainty, separation or bitterness in charge? Or is the loving heart and guiding hand of the Father leading you to places of encouragement?

Take joy in the journey friends. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

1 comment:

orangesweetness said...

i read your journal everyday. and i always take something away from it every day. i want you to know the amazing impact that your family and espically your son had on me. and the way that i live my life now, is due the the lessons that i learned from him, his illness and his life, and from you . you raised an amazing man. ( all of your children are amazing on that note)that i will always love and remember , Casey taught me what faith was, what love what living life was. and he was the love of my life i just hope that the person that god has for me now is half the man, has half the faith of your amazing son. i just wanted to thank you for the amazing words that you write every morning.