Sunday, June 21, 2009

Blessed Sunday and Happy Father’s Day to all of the Dads out there.

We went to Mom and Dad’s today. I mastered the grill and the dads (Bruce and my Dad) relaxed and did some planning for a deck to be built in Mom and Dad’s backyard when the weather gets cooler. Daddy also gave me a smoker. I am so excited. Travis and a friend are going to go to Howe one day this week and get the smoker and bring it home. Travis says, “Let’s buy half a cow.” We were blessed today with a wonderful lunch, loving family time including my Aunt Wanda and her little dog Abigail. My proudest moment was when Mom asked Travis to lead the blessing today.

Mark 4:41 “ [They] said to one another, “Who then is this that even the wind and the sea obey him?”

I love this story. There are so many things to learn from this one story. But tonight, I wish to think about authority. I spend today with my dad. I grew up with him and mom being the voices of authority in our home. They seemed to always work it out together. But, I still think of his voice being the voice of authority. When Daddy said something it was usually a done deal and most of the time there was no going back when he spoke his final word. I may not have agreed with his decision, but I always respected what he said. And talking back was never an issue. As I said before I may not have always agreed with him, but inside there was a comfort level somewhere that said that he had my best interests at heart and was letting me know how much he loved me even when he said no or had to scold me. I guess what I am trying to say is that Dad has always been there watching out and helping me through this life no matter what the situation. He and Mom were completely supportive during this last year in the loss of their grandson, Casey. The bottom line is that no matter what the situation Dad’s love for my brother and me was never in question and we came first with him.

Jesus was asleep on the boat. The disciples were in a fearful panic as the storm rose and the waves rocked the boat. Then they chose to scold the Master. Well now, there is a really smart thing to do. No wonder they were called the “duh” ciples! These men had seen amazing miracles performed by Jesus. They had witnessed Him read, interpret and preach on the scriptures in the temple. The elders had even used the word “authority” when speaking of Jesus understanding of the scriptures. And yet, these men who followed Him, lived with Him, loved Him and called Him Rabboni did not trust that, even asleep, Jesus was in command. Jesus commanded the wind and the waves to be still. The sea obeyed the Master and became calm. The disciples once again witnessed the authority of Christ and were saved.

Where is the authority of Jesus in our lives? How much are we willing to trust His authority in our lives? Are we willing to trust His loving authority and His call to obedience in our lives? When the storm comes who do we call on first? We call on Christ. Are we willing to walk the path of loving obedience after the storm is calm? Just some thoughts…

Take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: