Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Happy Wednesday! Today after school, I went to the hospice center to visit our friend Deb Koplen. I saw her on Monday before she left for the hospice house. She was alert, giving orders, swearing like a sailor and answering questions intelligently. Today when I saw her, she spoke in syllables, made no connections in her speech or was able to carry on a conversation. She knew who I was. She also said, “They can’t keep me from seeing mama.” I told her that there was nothing that would stop that from happening, but I don’t think we were on the same page. I held her hand for a long time and told her I loved her. Then I kissed her head and left my lipstick mark and told her not to let them wipe off that kiss. Then I told her to “be nice!” That is my usual parting comment to her when I leave her room. The funniest thing I found out today as I was talking to the nurses was that she does not use her call button when she needs something. Her room is directly across from the nurses’ station. So she just hollers, “Ladies!, Ladies!” I just cracked up. That is so Deb. They termed her “sassy.” I thought that was a very kind way to describe her. The nurses are so sweet and they told me “she is such a character.” How true! She is still experiencing a great deal of pain as the disease is still progressing rapidly. Say your prayers for her and pray for God to be merciful.

No news on a surgery date for our friend Carme as yet. We should hear something fairly soon. Continue your prayers for her and Dave.

Hebrews 12:1-2 says, “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfector of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken His seat at the right hand of the throne of God.”

I am currently involved in the lives of two very different women. One of these women has just about completed her race and the other is just beginning. Both of these women are strong women of faith running the race of their life.

Can we take a lesson from these two women? Are we willing to lay aside every weight and sin that clings so closely to each of us in order to live the abundant life promised in Jesus Christ our risen Savior? The only way these two women are dealing with this battle is through total surrender to the Master Healer and His perfect grace. They have surrendered not only their disease over the Jesus, but all of their lives trusting in Christ Jesus who has already walked the road ahead of Carme and Deb and is preparing them for the race ahead. Deb is in the final stretch and Carme is preparing to jump into the race as a cancer survivor. Both lives changed forever. And Jesus is cheering on both of these brave and courageous women.

We do not have to have trauma or devastating circumstances in our lives to have these scriptures apply to our lives. We simply have to surrender ourselves over to the One who loves us so much that He was willing to die so that we might have life and have it more abundantly. Are we willing to get rid of our baggage? Our baggage weighs us down and we cannot run the race Christ has planned for us. Let us run friends. Let us run with freedom the race set before us by our Savior. Let us run together as a cloud of witnesses who support and care deeply for each other as Jesus cheers us on to victory.

And as always, let us take joy in the journey. Love you, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: