Thursday, January 22, 2009

Happy Thursday! Is it really January? When I left for school this morning I think it was 30 degrees and by the time I left school it was 80 degrees. Only in Texas!!

Deb Koplen update: our friend Deb Koplen has become unresponsive and has slept all day. She has not taken in any nutrition or any water today. Around 5:30 this afternoon Odyssey House called me to tell me of a change in her condition as she had a seizure. She is now on oxygen and Ativan. She receives pain medication if she requests it. The hospice house will call me with any further changes. At the time of this writing she is stable. Rhonda Banks and I will keep you updated as her condition changes.

Carme update: Her surgery is scheduled for February 3, 2009 at 12:30 pm. Bruce and I will go down for a couple of days to be with her and Dave and attend the “passionately pink” party. I have received my pink bracelet fashioned by Dave’s sister, Sarah. Sarah calls them our “sister” bracelets in honor of Carme. They were created in support of Carme as she goes through surgery and recovery. It is a sign of our love and support and continued prayer. I know you will keep Carme in your thoughts and prayers and remember to “think pink!”

2 Corinthians 12: 21 says, “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil by doing good.” Do you know where the logo Nike originated? (Carme, this one is for you!) In Greek mythology, Nike, was the goddess of victory. Nike fought on the side of the Olympian gods gaining victory over the mighty Titans. Nike became the symbol of winning. The Romans adopted her Latin name: Victoria.

My friend Carme has been a runner. She has run marathons and has been a PE teacher. Carme knows the value of having the right equipment to do the job. Carme’s running shoes have always been important to her. To be victorious in the race she is about to run, she is also well equipped. Carme has faith in the Master Healer, Jesus Christ. Carme has hope in our risen Lord and Savior. Carme has a fabulous attitude and a great sense of humor. She knows the possible outcomes and is facing this race with courage and determination. No matter what, the victory has already been won. I am sure Carme is concerned and nervous (as my mother so eloquently says, “they are coming at her with a knife!), but I don’t hear fear in Carme’s voice.

The ancient Greeks and Romans created all of the pagan gods and thought they had divine power. They could only hope that these gods were powerful enough to provide protection and fight off the “Titans.” They wanted these gods to bring victory.

We know that Jesus Christ is the true God of victory. Whatever the “Titans” are in our lives, the Lord of Hosts will do battle for us with just the call of His name. Jesus Christ claimed victory over death with His rising from the grave. And then He instilled in us the power of the Holy Spirit so that we could remain close to Him forever. Friends, that is power! That is victory! That is hope!

What equipment do we need to battle the “Titans” in our lives? We have God’s Word to guide us and teach us. We have prayer. We can communicate with God just by calling His name and making our requests known to Him. We have the body of Christ to support us in every battle and celebrate each victory. We have the transforming power of the Holy Spirit to renew us each day and grow us in the image of God.

Put on your tool belt, your best running shoes or whatever equipment you use and take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: