Saturday, January 24, 2009

Happy Saturday! The plans for Deb Koplen’s service are viewing at Massey Burgess Funeral home in Grand Prairie from 6:00 to 8:00 and the service on Tuesday at 10:30 at St. John Lutheran Church at 509 NE 4th street in Grand Prairie. It will be a traditional Liturgical Lutheran service. There will be a brief graveside service following, but no procession to the cemetery. Bruce and Travis will be singing, Bruce will also be ringing and I will be reading.

This morning I relaxed in bed, drank coffee and watched one of my favorite movies, Remember the Titans. No matter how many times I watch it, it always inspires me. I love the part when the team decides not to let race come between them and then the town finally gets the message.

Psalm 13: 2 says, “How long must I worry and feel sad in my heart all day? How long will my enemy win over me.” As I was drinking my coffee I began to think of how I have spent each Saturday morning for the last year. I was either in Casey’s hospital room or in my desk chair having breakfast with Casey. I had this overwhelming longing to have those moments in time back again. I missed him so much this morning and felt so sad. I began to cry and then Bruce came back from reunion group. I simply told him that I missed Casey and then we just held each other and both wept for the loss in our lives.

Psalm 13: 5-6 says, “I trust in your love. My heart is happy because You saved me. I sing to the Lord because He has taken care of me.” This morning, God never took His eyes off of me. He knew the depths of my sorrow and knew just what I needed. I needed my family. I needed Bruce, Geni and Travis. We had gone our separate ways and we were all in different places but all phoned in and met together for lunch. How great is our God who never takes His eyes off of us and knows the depths of our sorrows and knows just the balm for the soul?

How do we thank this God who loves us enough to know us well enough to provide what we need even when we don’t ask and then when we do? We praise Him in song. We dance before Him with joy. We serve in worship for those who have gone on before us. We pray for each other. We help someone who is in need. It must really hack Satan off when we are sad or in a tough situation and we praise God or God meets our need by showing His love for us. God is worthy of our praise and God deserves our praise.

As Doc Adams always says, “the destination is not in question, but sometimes the journey sucks.” Well, this morning the situation sucked, but God, in His tender mercies, made the journey a bit easier and the path a little smoother through His love. Take joy in the journey with the assurance that God never takes His eyes off of us and walks every step of the way with us.

Love you all. See you in worship, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: