Friday, January 16, 2009

Happy Thursday! Baby, it is cold outside and getting colder!! I am glad it was “dress down” day at school. I wore jeans and a TCU hoodie.

We celebrated Travis 18th birthday at home tonight. I grilled pork steaks (even in the very cold weather) and we had red velvet cake (sort of a tradition in our family). It was so nice to sit around the table and talk and laugh and listen to the kids. Travis’ friends took him to McDonald’s for a McGriddle this morning. I think they all chipped in a quarter. They are too funny with their high finance. On Saturday, several of Travis’ friends and their dads are all going play paint ball. I think the fathers and sons idea is so great. I am going to feed them all at Chicken Express and then wave to them as they leave.

Deb Koplen update: Deb is back in Arlington Memorial. The last report I got was that the nausea was better, but the pain was worse. A head CT was done this morning and I have not heard any results as yet. I am meeting with the health care company to plan for her eventual discharge and into hospice care. She is in Rm. 3221 and needs visitors. Please continue your prayers for her.

Psalm 119: 32 says, “I will run the course of Your commandments, for You shall enlarge my heart.” When Casey and I went to Houston November 1, 2008 our first visitors were Judy Smith and her mother. Judy’s mother is a 30 year cancer survivor. Judy and her mother encouraged me to “stay in the Word.” I had taken my Bible with me and began to read and meditate each night and during the day. Then, I began to write the wallpaper and place it all around Casey’s room. Whenever I would become scared or in need of assurance or hope, God’s Word would take me to places of assurance, hope and thanksgiving. What I began to realize was that God’s Word belongs to God.

God’s Word was delivered as inspiration to mortal men and that it was God’s Word that caused me have that hunger and thirst for the Word for which I had prayed. In that time of separation from family, friends, school, and worship I began to depend on God’s Word as my source of comfort and the basis for building a relationship and learning about the heart of God. I found that whenever I needed guidance, hope or knowledge, I found it in God’s Word.

It was and is through God’s Word, prayer and praying the scriptures, claiming them in the name of Jesus, that despair became more of a short lived experience and joy and peace came much more quickly. I invite you to begin a journey in God’s Word and a life of prayer in the Word and in the name of Jesus.

Take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

2 comments:

Al Rearick said...

Happy Birthday, Travis!

More later when I'm more than semi-conscious and it's not way past my bedtime....

Al

Al Rearick said...

Please let Deb and Carme know that they are in our prayers. As are you guys, because I know this must be especially heart-wrenching for y'all.

I must've really been out of it the other night, because I completely forgot what I wanted to say, so it must not have been all that important.

Love,
Al