Thursday, October 23, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Thursday!  All is well here at 811. Just a couple of announcements:  tomorrow I will go for my first routine visits to the oncologist and radiation doctors and will have labs drawn since surgery and radiation. I have no reason to think that there is anything wrong. I feel fine. But the last time I visited these two doctors all was anything but fine!  I am just a bit anxious. Bruce is going with me.  And a PRN Hospice chaplain position here in Arlington came across my email tonight. I applied. And a couple of prayers would really be appreciated. Thanks.

The candle is lit…

Dear God, thank you for giving me so many reasons to laugh. I hear the angels in heaven laughing with me.  I have chosen the abundant life you offer and the eternal life you promise. I have decided to follow you in all things.  Lord, you have given me many gifts and blessings. Besides singing, You have given me the gift of smiling and laughter.  Thank you for affirming this gift in your word tonight. You always know what I need to hear when I need to hear it.  Thank you gracious loving Lord. I love you Lord, in Jesus’ name, amen.

Most of the words tonight come directly from my meditation. Tonight the author’s words were the words I needed to hear.

Ok it has happened again. My meditation speaks of laughing in the face of anxiousness referring to diagnosis. Tonight my meditation speaks of laughter being a wonderful blessing from God.  “Good side-shaking laughter can transform pessimistic diagnosis into hopeful prognosis.”  According to the writer of my meditation tonight laughter is a precious gift that comes from heaven.  “Laughter is God reaching down to you with delight and gladness.”  (I really like that statement.)

I think God began this gift with my Mom. She always had a smile on her face and a great gift for laughter.  Christian comedian and singer Mark Lowery sings a song of a picture he has seen of Jesus laughing. I have seen that picture and it is a wonderful image of Jesus with his head thrown back and laughing with exuberant joy! According to the writer of this meditation “God gives laughter because it is good for you. It treats you kindly with healing, wellness and wholeness.” It is cheaper and quicker to laugh aloud than to reach into the medicine cabinet or check in to the hospital.  Maybe it is a laugh a day rather than an apple a day that keeps the doctor away.  “  I have not always laughed during this journey, but I have always know that God has been present and the gift of joy promised in the strength of God has not diminished. The famous scripture from Ecclesiastes 3 says, “There is a time to weep and a time to laugh…” There have been times when I thought if I begin to cry that I might never stop and I wouldn’t feel better, but laughter always makes me feel better. Perhaps because Jesus came to heal… laughter can be a medium of healing too.

“We laughed, we sang, we wouldn’t believe our good fortune. We were the talk of the nations.”
Psalm 126: 2
“[There is] a time to weep and a time to laugh; a time to mourn and a time to dance.”
Ecclesiastes 3: 4

Take joy in the journey praying, praising and laughing as you go.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene


No comments: