Monday, October 20, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Monday!  All is well here at 811. Today was one of those rare days when I received a piece of news that made my heart soar.  One of my former students whom I had when she was a first grader announced that she was beginning college today. I am so very proud of this student.  She is choosing to better her life through education.  Way to go!

The candle is lit…

Dear God, Lord of all, let your presence be my promise and your power be my strength. Thank you for all the times I hear you speak when I meditate on your word. Through faith and practice, keep me within hearing distance of you voice and in the light of your perfect love.  I love you Lord, in Jesus’ name.

I tutor children during the week in a room just off of the school library. If you think about a library the first image that may come to mind is the many books that line the walls of the room. In thinking further I see images of people reading books; signs that designate what books are where, where help is to be found, a computer area and lots of other things.. I hear the sound of rustling pages, quiet voices, a volunteer reading to a group of children and the sounds of studying.  Many people are seeking answers from the words they are reading.     

When I open my Bible I find a whole library inside. The words I study and meditate on teach me, speak to me, strengthen me, assure me, comfort me, correct me and help me find answers to the questions I have been asking.  I find my spirit is fortified and my mind is more focused when I spend time with God and the Holy Scriptures each day.  This practice which has been a discipline for a lot of years has now become a delight.

“I will meditate on Your precepts and regard Your ways. I shall delight in Your statutes and I shall not forget Your word.”
Psalm 119: 15-16
You made me willing to listen and obey. And so, I said, “I am here to do what is written about me in the book, where it says, ‘I enjoy pleasing you. Your Law is in my heart.”
Psalm 40: 6-8

Take joy in the journey praying as you go and delighting yourself in the Word of the Lord. Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: