Sunday, August 3, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Blessed Sunday to you all!  All is well here at 811.

The candle is lit…

Dear God, You are the living God, and I praise you! I yearn to live in your presence and worship at your footstool, my glorious God. Thank you for working on my behalf to help me perform your will on the stage of my life. While I am living into your will and learning more about you each day I think about what it will be like when I live with you for all eternity. But Lord, for me eternity began when I prayed to receive you as my Lord and Savior and to live my life for you. I think about the joy you have given praising you with the knowledge that I will never be separated from you on this side of heaven or on the other side. So Lord, I worship you now in praise and thanksgiving for this life and the life in the everlasting kingdom. I love you Lord, in Jesus name, amen.

I have a quiet time each day as I prepare to write the journal each night. Actually it is usually not quiet. While I was in seminary I would write to DVR’d episodes of NCIS. I have seen all of them many, many times and so I really did not pay attention, but the noise kept me company.  But lately I have begun to change that practice somewhat by lighting a candle inviting the light of Christ into my office space and muting the TV. One day I will complete the ritual and I will turn the TV off.  Small steps…habits are difficult to break.

But quiet time is the time in which I see more clearly what God is doing in my life.  Armed with scripture, a meditation on that scripture, a blank page on which to write and the invitation for Christ to enter into my thoughts through prayer I begin my thinking about what God has to say. I rethink through my day and see God’s actions in the daily events and see how God has worked and His purpose in the happenings of my everyday life.  It was during one of these quiet times recently that urged me on to prepare a resume and create some business cards announcing to the world that I am ready to serve in the ministry of Christ and help others get through some difficult times. I was tired of sitting still and I must admit to being just a bit scared to move forward.  It is through these quiet times that I can began to understand what God is doing and maybe even how he is doing it by remaining not only at my side, but also going before me to pave the way.

So my friends tune in to the daily events of your life and see how God is working. God does such good things in our lives. It is our job to look around and see that they are.

“He who calls you is faithful, he will surely do it.”
1 Thessalonians 5: 24
“God is able to make all grace abound to you. So that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”
2 Corinthians 9: 8
Take joy in the journey and look around to see the goodness of God. Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: