Wednesday, May 14, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Wednesday!  All is well here at 811. I finished my job at Burton Hill today. My final students took their tests today. We now wait on results. It has been a joy to work with the students and be among the exemplary staff and administrators of this awesome school. They have truly become family over the past months. (and in the years past)

Dear God, there is so much for which to be thankful. I give thanks for my life, family, provisions and blessings and most important, I thank you God for loving me. Lord, You know that I begin radiation treatments tomorrow. You also know I am somewhat anxious and emotional about this next stage of cancer treatment. I pray for a peaceful spirit as I place my trust in those who will deliver the radiation treatments each day. I ask Lord that they be perfect in their skill and compassionate in their care of me and all of the other patients.  Thank you for my family who supports me with their prayers and presence and all those who send their thoughts and prayers. Please Lord, bless all of these folks with your grace and love. I trust You Lord to continue to walk beside me. I love you Lord. In Jesus name, amen.

The last few meditations I have studied have been about offering thanks as a sacrifice. I must need to learn this lesson. I have given thanks to God because God is God. I have given thanks for all of the blessings I have received. I have given thanks for protection, provision and the gift of being able to sing. In this journey of breast cancer, singing has been my salvation. I have given thanks for family and friends.  But, my meditation claims that God does not need our thanks, praise or thanks. I focused on the word need.  God has no ego to bruise or need our validation because God is after all; God. We give thanks to God and express our gratitude because of what it means to our souls. We give thanks because God is the source of each blessing, every moment of protection, each gift of provision and everyone we have grown to love. These blessings are not given because of our worthiness, but because of God’s love for us. Our hearts are transformed by God the great giver, provider, protector and lover. And here is the amazing thing about all of this giving of thanks…when we offer the sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving for God’s goodness to us we are the ones who are blessed. God is good and love wins!

“He who sacrifices thanks offerings honors me, and he prepares the way to that I may show him the salvation of God.”
Psalm 50: 23
“I am God Most High! The only sacrifice I want is for you to be thankful and to keep your word. Pray to me in time of trouble. I will rescue you, and you will honor me.”
Psalm 50: 14-15

Take joy in the journey offering the sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving and be blessed. Wear comfortable shoes, get some sleep and think pink!  Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: