Tuesday, April 29, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Tuesday!  All is well here at 811. I met with the radiation doctor. He is a very nice man, very personable and kind. He pronounced me healing nicely and after insurance verifies benefits (I should hear tomorrow) I will go in for the marking procedure. I will receive at least 3 tattoos (Yes, Carme.  Three tiny tattoos.) These markers will show the persons who operate the machinery where to place the radiation. I will have radiation M—F for six and a half weeks and follow-up with skin damage control for three months following radiation treatment. It is possible I might begin treatment next week, but also possibly the week after.  Even though the cancer is gone, this type of treatment is to destroy any itinerant cancer cells that might be floating around.

Dear God, I am confident that I will see your goodness today. Thank you for showing me your goodness in every situation. I know Lord I can trust you. Sometimes I do not have confidence in the future I have envisioned for myself. There seem to have been roadblocks in my path. But Lord, I know you are with me and I have not heard your voice to change course. I claim the scripture that proclaims that this is not a delay unto death, but for the glory of the Lord. Help me to have courage as I begin this next phase in the journey.  Strengthen me for the challenges to come. Lord, please continue to cover Erica’s family as they help their Mom sift through the remains of her home and show them how to begin again. I love you Lord. In Jesus name, amen.

The opening sentence of my meditation tonight is “You can make it through today.”  I needed to hear those words. Today’s schedule was full and then I went to my doctor’s appointment. He was very careful to explain procedures, side effects that everyone experiences and possible side effects. I do not see the obstacles ahead and yet I know I am going to be okay. I place my trust in this fine doctor to see that no permanent harm comes to me. He gave me assurance that all side effects were temporary. Even if my cancer had been more invasive and required harsher treatment I would one way or another. I have the assurance of the goodness of God who desires most of all for me to experience joy. I believe that His joy will come in the comfort I will receive when my skin is burned and I am so very tired from the treatments. I believe that God will strengthen me for whatever challenges come and whatever each day holds. The bottom line is God is with me and if you are going through tough or challenging times, God is with you too. God is with all of us to help us through whatever life has handed us. And as we travel these sometimes bumpy roads let us look for the ways the God shows us His goodness.  God is good and love wins!!

“Yet, I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness while I am here in the land of the living.”
Psalm 27: 13
“Surely your goodness and love will be with me all my life.”
Psalm 23: 6

Take joy in the journey and taste of the goodness of God’s sweet love for us. Wear comfortable shoes, get some sleep and think pink!  Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene






No comments: