Tuesday, November 12, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Tuesday! All is well at 811. Bruce has taken the air conditioner out of our window and the heater is going. This will be our first winter without our heated waterbed. We have plenty of blankets and so we will see how warm we will stay. Today I sang my last special piece of music in Brite Chapel. I was accompanied by two extraordinary musicians on flute and piano. I sang, “A Simple Song”  from the Bernstein Mass.  As excited as I am to graduate, I am also mildly terrified and sad to be leaving Brite Seminary. I have enjoyed every moment of my time at Brite. I have made many, many lifelong friends and have learned more than I could have ever imagined. I have received instruction from the finest theological minds who not only teach what they know, but teach through the power of the Holy Spirit and in Jesus name.  I have one class day left, two papers, one test paper and one in class exam. The countdown has begun. Thank you all for your prayers over the years and hang in there with me just a bit longer. God is good and love wins.

God, thank you for teaching me about your healing and forgiveness. It is my desire to walk in loving reverence for you.  There have been lots of times in the last few years that I have faced really tough situations. In all of the sadness and times of great joy you have brought great comfort and been a reminder of how faithful you are. I trust you God and on you I can always depend. I love you Lord. In Jesus name, Amen.

A member of my family has had some recent serious health issues.  You have been praying for this yet unnamed person and your prayers have made all the difference.  Our beloved is doing well. Tragedy strikes and there are times we are placed in positions where we have to be the strong one. It usually happens when we feel we have been kicked in the gut with a Number 12 boot.  We try to be brave, but all we really want to do is cry. When those times happen let us go to God and be honest about how we feel when we are feeling really weak. It is our daily trust in God that makes us strong and nothing we do on our own.  Let us find ways to let God be strong for us. Scripture, prayer and daily writing work for me. What works for you?

“As the mountains surround Jerusalem; the LORD surrounds his people now and forever.”

Psalm 125: 1

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, throw an extra blanket or two in the bed and get some sleep. Love you all Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: