Friday, October 4, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Friday!  TGIF Today God is First!  I really like this. All is well at 811. Finished my first paper that is not due until Saturday midnight. It is already in the inbox of my professor. Tomorrow I begin the next paper due on by 1:00 on Tuesday. I also made my favorite fall snack mix. It is so easy: 1 box Golden Grahams Cereal, 1 jar roasted peanuts (I use the salted ones.), 1 bag dark chocolate chunks and 1 bag of plain M & M’s. Pour it all into a large Ziploc bag. Mix it up and enjoy. 

“Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end, but establish the [uncompromisingly] righteous [those upright and in harmony with You]; for You, Who try the hearts and emotions and thinking powers, are a righteous God.”

Psalm 7: 9

Our lives are filled with challenges that test our determination and sometimes our faith in God. Sometimes these challenges are life altering and hold great adversity bringing great pain in our lives. Sometimes these challenges are seemingly everyday things that pile up in our hearts and minds. In either situation the quality of our character is challenged on a regular basis whether we are listening to a doctor’s diagnosis, shouting at traffic, trying to figure out which bill to pay this month and which ones can wait until next time, impatiently waiting in line for something or a service to be rendered or being nervous about writing papers for school.  We are tested in all kinds of things each day. And I guess the question for us is how will we hold up under the stress of different situations?  The good news is we do not have to hold up under stress alone. God has given us at least two tools to call on when stress begins to overtake our ability to act in godly character. God has given us the Holy Scriptures full of the truth of the gospels and the comfort of the Psalms that claim the sovereign power of God and God’s unfailing love being with us all to time never to leave us. God will never leave us because of the gift of the Holy Spirit that lives in us out of God’s perfect love for us is ever present.

I have stressed in the last few days over the papers I have to write. One of the papers is a one question essay test. The other is an exegesis.  The last sentence of my devotion tonight says, “Ask God to give you grace to pass all your tests.”  I laughed as I read this. But maybe I am being tested to do good work in spite of my divided responsibilities and family concerns.  Can I focus on my home, responsibilities and continuous concern for Bruce and when I am tested by the academy to do master’s level work that is academically acceptable and to be found faithful? I think I will pray the last line of my meditation tonight and ask God for EGR (Extra Grace Required) to help during these times.  I think I read somewhere that God’s grace is sufficient to meet all our needs.  I can rest on this word tonight taking joy in the journey and getting some sleep.  Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

 

No comments: