Sunday, September 29, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Blessed Sunday to you all!  Today was the first time I heard Bruce say, “I want to talk again.”  It almost broke my heart.  He has always outwardly taken this journey in stride, but today was a bit different.  As I sat next to him in worship he turned away the hymnal offered him when it was time to sing.  He misses singing and talking so very much. We miss our conversations. I know this is weighing on him. His attitude is still great, but I know he is feeling some measure of grief and loss that covers a broad range of issues and activities.  His BSF leader called him tonight to remind him of the session tomorrow night. A client called today and needs him to do some work. He misses the singing, the working, the talking and the Kairos and the witness he is for those who are incarcerated.  He needs a boost of prayer and assurance.  So say an extra prayer for him please.

Today I had the wonderful pleasure of participating in worship at Cochran Chapel United Methodist Church as a soloist.  The theme for the day was “Call.” There were three speakers who all had received the call of Christ in their lives. One of the people is a colleague of mine with whom I have had at least one class with each semester for the last two years. We have become wonderful friends. One who is studying to become a Deacon in the Methodist Church and one who is already ordained.  The leadership of this congregation is made up of a Catholic, a United Methodist, a Baptist and a Disciple. 

“Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say, ‘Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ. For the accuser of our brothers, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down.”

Revelation 12:10

When I heard this I remembered the story in the gospels about Jesus sitting with Levi, the tax collectors and other sinners.  This is a group just as diverse as the leadership of Cochran Chapel and Jesus is just as present in this group of leaders as He was present in those in ancient scripture.  The Holy Spirit and I made a connection with two thoughts; 1) I got to witness the ancient scriptures become the living Word  in this wonderful house of worship and 2) I witnessed what the Kingdom of God looks like.  The good news here is that those who witnessed Jesus and the group that day condemned Him for sitting with tax collectors and other sinners. This congregation of Cochran Chapel embraced and affirmed these folks who have vastly different stories and paths of service and all had hearts for discipleship and furthering the cause of Christ.  I stood today on holy ground and was in the presence of the living God. The journey today was filled with joy.  Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

 

No comments: